My Resident Hedgehog.

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Philip Nulty, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

1st Video

2nd Video

I have two resident Hedgehogs in my garden,..they eat every slug and snail they can get,..plus dry cat food,..they get along with the cats,..though i suppose with such bad eyesight they really don't see the cats,..if i stand still they will come right up to my feet.

glendann, Droopy and cherylad like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Lovely video clips Philip. I do love to see hedgehogs in the garden even although worms are also on their menu. They certainly keep the garden almost free from slugs, snails and other nasties don't they?
    Since I looked after an injured hedgie a couple of years ago she has set up home in my garden and is more than welcome to stay.
    Your cats all seem a bit mystified about who they're sharing the garden with but it seems as though they enjoy watching what the hedgehodgs are up to.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Snail and slug exterminators? Too bad they are not endemic to North America, I have some unwanted slugs. The only advantage to slugs in this part of the world is it gives me a reason to buy more beer. :) Have the cats found out the hard way not to sniff the hedgehogs? Thank you for the video, I never would have realized that European gardens had such helpers.

Jerry

5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Eileen,
    i didn't know about the eating of worms as well,..i suppose i just never spotted that snack being eaten,..the cats got lots of fleas from the hedgehogs,..so everything had to be treated,..delighted to read about your rescue of the injured hedgie,..they really are cute to watch.

Advertisement
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Jerry,
    lol,..the reason to buy beer!!,..i was asked what the bottle of whiskey was doing in my medicine cabinet?,.."to get rid of warts i said",...oh you have warts?,..no i replied,..i did have,..but just in case they might try to come back i drink the whiskey.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Philip, I'll swap you two opossums for one hedgehog, shipping included.
    I loved your videos. Wish we had hedgehogs, but the coyotes would probably like them too much.

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Possoums are so uslessI need about 15HedgehogsI HAVE WAY TO MANY SNAILSbut Texas maybe to hot for them.

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Lol,..i would love to say "done deal",..i told my neighbor that i had hedgehogs,.."oh nooooo",..she replied,..then asked me what did they look like?,..i was tempted to say "rat like".

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Two offers for a Possum,..not bad in one day!.
    They have very poor eyesight,..i tested out one of mine with a scrubbing brush,..it presumed it to be another hedgehog,..lol.

[​IMG]

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Awww... I went all pink and fuzzy inside when I listened to your hedgehog snacking on dry cat food. :D We've also got hedgehogs, but I doubt if any of them are resident. We're hoping one has moved in underneath a huge pile of twigs and branches put down for just the purpose of attracting hedgehogs.

Our hedgehogs (I call them that even though they're not ours per se) snack on worms as well as slugs, snails and frogs if they can get them.

I check our hedgehogs for ticks since there has been an increase in tick population and they can actually be a threat to the hedgehogs if they attract too many of them. They dont mind my searching them at all for some reason, but will curl up if anyone else tries to approach them. I guess they recognize an easily charmed idiot when they smell one. :D

12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Droopy,
    so you have Hedgehogs in Norway!,..that's something i never knew,..my two don't get along together,..when they meet they butt each other,..and not friendly towards each other at all,..i can touch them,..but then they roll up in a ball,..you say they can smell you,..lol,..i wonder why mine ignore me,..is it the perfume attracts or my aftershave deters,lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a niceset of pics, Phillip.
    We have hedgehogs too, but sadly none on the allotment. They would be very welcome on my lotties, I can tell you that!

Well, you have been able to show some good shots of yours. Too bad they are grumpy with each other.

14. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Sjoerd,..i will appreciate the task they perform more so after today,..its interesting to read which County has Hedgehogs,..there are quite a few close to my house,..they reside in the Church grounds.
    One of mine is a bit of a character in that it makes terrible mistakes,..knocking over the drinking bowl and scaring itself half to death,..and keeps trying to enter the garden shed through the hinge side of the door,..lol.

Dang!!,..who closed the door?.
    [​IMG]

Oops!,..have to figure this out.
    [​IMG]

15. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Haha, they're adorable. :D One of ours keeps getting itself shut in in our neighbour's garage. It's always me who have to get them out of there, poor things.

16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

How interesting, Phillip. ...and more fotos. Excellent, mate!
    I enjoyed the pics as well as your anecdotes.

That one animal is funny, isn't it. I wonder if it has some sort of ailment, or just a "character".

Anyway, good posting.