My small garden,,

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by mart, May 15, 2011.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ok, you will have to ignore the weeds since we haven`t plowed since the rain. But I thought I would let you see my garden. Some things are just getting started and I am overloaded on others, Isn`t that the way it always is?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from mart's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, you said "small garden" with your tongue firmly planted in your cheek, right? That is a lovely garden--and I didn't see any weeds.
    The plants look great! You might want to start stocking up on canning lids and freezer bags now. It would seem you are going to need a whole lot of them!

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

No joke , This my small garden. Wait till I show you the big one ! LOL I always have enough for the county. Bad thing is, I have trouble finding someone that will come and pick it besides family. Right now I am giving away bags of lettuce from 1/4 of a row. I love salad but one can only eat so much.

I can cases of tomatoes every year as well as picante sauce. May have to buy a few extra cases of jars this year. Ran out of tomatoes last year since we were hit with bugs. This year I treated the soil as I fertilized and so far, great looking tomatoes and no bugs on anything. Of course its early yet,,we will see if it lasts.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart,
    You have more than one garden? I am so glad to find that I'm not the only "multiple" gardener!
    If you'd like a recipe for marinara sauce that freezes well, send me a private message and I'll send it to you. The recipe is simple and the sauce tastes great just as is over pasta, or with the addition of Italian sausage while you are heating up the sauce.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Didn`t you post it last year ?? I think so. I make marinara too. I usually just put the tomatoes, onions, garlic, pepper, basil then add whatever fresh I have on hand when I use it. Why not post it again in recipes? There are a few new people this year. Might need a good recipe.

Frugalkate likes this.
  7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Mart,
    i used to have a big garden and of course like you i love growing things,..of course i ended up not having enough friends to eat everything i grew,..so i started selling organic veg,..never thought i would have so much growing,..oh that Marinara sounds like something i would like,..maybe Jane will post the recipe! :) :stew2:

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Problem with that is,,I would still have to pick it, wash it, bag it, ect !!

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Y'all are too kind. The marinara recipe is going on the recipe forum right now. I sure hope you enjoy it!

10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Thank you Jane.

11. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Mart, thanks for the giggle.."small garden"? :eek: I read that and thought "Texas". ;)

Darn! then I looked at your name and location. Double darn. My folks were from Texas and retired back there. My dad would have called that a small garden also. Keep the county fed. :stew1:

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Small is a subjective word..... small to one is huge to another.javascript:emoticon(':D');
    Mart you your small garden looks great. I want to see the big too. don't forget to show us. Hopefully you wont be too busy taking care of it to take the pictures.
    I have taken my abundant extras to a local nursing home and the salvation army. The salvation Army is very appreciative for it in their food pantry. Fresh food is not typical in their selection.

13. mart

mart Strong Ash

LOL,, I wouldn`t know how to act with a postage stamp size garden. Do your parents still live here !! Texas is a very good place to garden as we have a long growing season. There are things that can be grown almost year round. Even after we plow ours up, There is still time to let the volunteer plants come up in the midst of the fall garden.

14. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    No Mart, both of my parents are now gone. Mom a few years ago and Dad last fall. They sure enjoy Texas, and all the relatives we have down there though. Dad did cuss the chiggers though. They sure loved him. Their pecan trees provided lots of nuts for pies and other goodies for everyone well into their retirement though.

15. GMB27

GMB27 Seedling

Thats a fantastic piece of land to grow on! Im so jealous! My allotment is about 10 foot long and 6 foot wide but nowhere near the space you have! Good luck with a great season there.

16. mart

mart Strong Ash

So sorry about that,Jewell ! Glad they enjoyed it here. We are on sand so no chiggers here. Boy if you get into blackland there are a bunch. Or at least there used to be. When I was a kid I have had them on me and I tell you,,you have never itched so much in your life !!