My yard 1987, 2004, 4/07 and today

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by toni, Nov 18, 2007.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

In sorting thru some old photos not long ago I found a picture of our back yard when we moved into this house in 1987.
    The shed on the right was picked up by high winds in 1988 and ended up on it's roof in the alley.
    The tall Crepe Myrtle near center back is no longer there but the small one to the left of it is now huge.
    [​IMG]

The first things I planted out there were the Freedom Hedge Roses, the Fig tree and some Glads. The windmill is still in it's same position today and the garden at the bottom left was my cotton patch.
    [​IMG]

Back in April of this year...the Fig tree is the large tree upper left, the windmill is still the same and the cotton patch was where the Betony is to the left of the wheel barrow.
    [​IMG]

This picture I took today, trying to get the same angle as the first one. The trees in the upper right are where the shed was, the Fig tree is almost leafless but is about 15 feet tall now and the windmill is still where it has always been.
    [​IMG]

It is hard for me to fathom that I have done all of this and more areas that are not part of the original scene turning over the soil with my garden fork then getting down on my knees and pulling grass and weeds out by hand and trusty trowel. The trowel is pretty worn out and I finally found where I can get more just like it.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Netty
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Jewell
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

What a difference Toni! You sure have done a fantastic job!

4. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Wow! All the hard work you have put into your garden.I can feel your back pain right now ;) It is totally awesome. I would give anything to be able to spread out like that and have my 'junque' just where I wanted it. Like I had said earlier in a post, living in a mobile home community with the yards not being very large, I have to limit my 'intake'. Besides the man that does my yard would have a fit and probably remove me from his list of clients :!: :stew1: :!: I know you are so proud of it and enjoy it every time you look at it :stew2:

5. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Oh Toni,
    You have been a busy lady. It certainly looks good, and not a bit bare anymore. I bet you have a ball when things start to bloom as you take a walk through to see whom your new visiting ladies are. Do I see a flower bed? I always wanted one of those, but am very limited about what I can put in the yard. (I will explain some other time.) I love your windmill . . (just like in the movie "Giant" on a smaller scale.) My mama always was fascinated by seeing cotton growing in fields. My daddy, who was from the south, would stop the car, and pick a bouquet for her. They are both gone to their great reward now, but I always think of this when I see a cotton field in bloom. Promise me a picture of the cotton patch if you ever plant it again . . . I got this one below this year at a little shop where they grow it outside the door. . .
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Quite a change Toni, abundant with life. Any gardener would be proud ;)

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Toni your garden is a real credit to you. It must be so satisfying knowing that all your hard work has paid off and with such lovely results.

8. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

yard

Toni in Texas,

That is a very neat place you made on your own.
    I had notice how well your snapdragons grow there.
    Mine are always real late in the fall and never have all that foilage on them.. Yours win..
    barb

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

You have done wonders toni I would be really proud of it too.You have put lots of time and work plus all that love into it and it shows.

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

From nothing to an oasis. What a transformation!

11. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

That is so great to see that transformation.

A lot of hard work going into that garden. YOu can righfully be proud of your garden

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks for the nice comments y'all. I really didn't think about how much it has been transformed until I found that first picture. I just wish it hadn't taken me 15 years to get started on it, but at least I did get started on it.

Song.....Randy and I spent a good portion of last night scouring our computers looking for pictures of my cotton bolls. It would seem that we never took any pictures of them. I do have a picture of the plants themselves in one of my early blog entries..I just can't believe we neglected to get pictures of the bolls.
    Mine was an organic natural green cotton, the fiber is still in a large basket waiting for me to learn to spin. :rolleyes: I have been thinking about planting a couple of seeds next spring, if they grow and produce I will definitely take pictures this time.

13. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I love seeing this gardening odyssey. Time and lot of hard work certainly pay off. :-D

14. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Your garden is beautiful Toni. I like how you have incorporated other things like the birdcage and headboard, nice ideas.

15. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

Thats really cool to have a sort of timeline of pictures. I think I'll start taking before and after shots more often.

16. Penny

Penny Young Pine

Everything looks great, nice and colorful!!