Mystery morning glory

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Pinkiered, May 26, 2006.

1. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

When I started my morning glories, I had a peat tray just for them. There where no other seeds in there. I had two types of Morning Glorys in there....

A dark blue with a purple star and a very large all red one.

Only two of the blue ones survived and four of the red ones. The blue ones has bloomed and I noticed the "red " one was budding.

Last night was came home late...about 1130pm. I have three morning glorys hanging under the tree right next to where I park the truck. I just wanted to check on them before I went in(Im losing one).

Well, my "red" one bloomed but its blooming at night and its NOT red! :eek:

I brought it in and took this.....

[​IMG]

What kind of Morning Glory is it? I have two others of the same kind about to come in to bloom.

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Well, it looks like a four o'clock to me, even the leaves. Maybe a bird dropped a seed. Morning glory seeds do not look like four o'clock seeds so you couldn't have made a mistake planting it. Four o'clock seeds are oval with a little cap on the end. They are fairly big, too. Dooley

4. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I planted them straight out of the package I bought them in. I had a peat pot greenhouse just for my morning glorys. I have, well had, some 4oclocks. They had little tentacles that they were climbing with. These "morning glorys" dont.

I was going to delete this topic cuz I started a all new topic about my morning glorys. If you go look youll see the "stems" of this one on there.

5. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

I know for sure those are 4 o'clocks. I have them everywhere!! They must have miss labeled at the company!! Yours are really beautiful with the pink and yellow combined. Mine are seperate pink ones and yellow and I also have a red one. My friend Donnia has the mixed ones like you, and I have tried to plant some of her seeds, but they just bloom one color not the mixed!! The butterflies and the bees are probably cross pollinating them.

Advertisement
  6. jubabe296

Denee I forgot to tell you also 4 o'clocks bloom in the evening and morning glories bloom in the morning.

7. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

BUT I DONT WANT 4 OCLOCKS! I[​IMG] WANT MORNING GLORIES!!!

<stomps foot and pouts>[​IMG]

8. jubabe296

I'm sorry Denee!! But on the bright side you have beautiful plants with great aroma at night. I would plant more morning glory seeds and hope they are morning glories and enjoy them both!!!!

9. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

So, how do I care for these little guys? I killed my other 4 o clocks. :rolleyes: I have two in the shade and two in partical. And all potted.

All hep will be welcomed!

10. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I don't know, I don't do very well with mine, I need to move them I think. But those are definitely four o'clocks. Very pretty ones at that.

11. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Whatever they are I like the color of them. I have never planted four o'clocks or morning glories but have pink morning glories growing on my fence for the second summer. I must have had help from some birds.

12. Hank

Hank Seedling

Or it's bindweed, morning glory's nasty cousin. Careful!

13. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Mine are probably the nasty cousin - but they are on a free standing fence in front of my propane tank so I think I will leave them alone - nothing else seems to grow there.

14. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

What a deal. Denee you are a painter what happens when you mix the colors .Thats what the butterflies and bees are doing to the 4 oclocks mixing the colors up .I have no idea how they became 4 oclocks.:)

15. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Knowing me, I just probably mixed up the seeds.