Name that plant! Purple and mauve buds

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Gardengirl, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

I acquired this plant in an unusual way. Someone just dumped it in our front garden. We couldn't find out who it belongs to so we have kept it. It is in a nice terracota pot grown as a standard. It looked a bit like a berbaris to me but now I am not sure. I am also not sure whether I really like it (maybe that is why the person dumped it on us :) )I don't know whether it is going to open as a flower or just stay as it is. It started as deep purple buds but now has changed to a mixture of purple and mauve.
    Any ideas.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Gardengirl's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Gardengirl's Garden )

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. David M
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. David M
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Could it be a ceanothus I wonder? The leaves look very like the one on my plant.

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I wish someone would have dropped it at my house as I love all different kinds of trees and that one is very different.The color is so pretty.

5. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

I thought it might be Eileen but it is different to the one I have. I am wondering whether flowers are going to develop.

Advertisement
  6. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Looks like a Ceanothus to me too. There are rather a large number of different ones though.

7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

They must have wanted it to have a good home :-D

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am with the rest in thinking that it is a Ceanothus. I have three and they are all a bit different. One that I have is like the one you are showing.
    There are more than 50 different species, I have heard, so it's difficult to know which one you have there.
    I wonder if it is ni a pot because the former owners took it inside during the winter.

I have all three of mine outside (in the ground) and I notice that the one that I have in a sheltered position up against a south-facing wall is doing best.

They have some damage from cold every year, but they still manage to live through it and are all healthy.

The buds will eventually open into a composit of lovely little flowers that smell to me like honey. Another flower that smells similar is the Alyssum.
    Bees and butterflies are attracted to the flowers and their colour is one of the hallmarks of mid spring in my garden.

Good luck with this plant.

BTW--should you decide to plant this Ceanothus in your garden I would suggest that you plant it near a wall, and sheltered from wind as well as prepare the ground in such a way that you add some course grit to the hole that you plan on putting it in. They like their roots in a well-draining soil.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the plant, it's a nice one.

9. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Thanks for all the info. Ceanothus it is then :stew2:
    Sjoerd, I have another one which is in a pot which I have left outside all winter for the last couple of years and so far it is ok. It has lovely blue flowers but the buds are completely different to the standard. I look forward to the flowers opening.