Nassella cernua-Noddling Needle Grass

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by sespegal, Mar 13, 2010.

1. sespegal

sespegal New Seed

Here is a photo of this lovely native grass from California. I have a small patch of it growing in my garden and last year as it dried out during the summer, I cut it back to the ground.

I saved the stalks and dried them and then sprayed them lightly with some clear coat so that they would remain stable in the arrangement. I love the way they look against the wall color.

[​IMG]
    Nassella cernua a native CA bunch grass. ( photo / image / picture from sespegal's Garden )

2. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I do love the grasses (although most of mine are all in pots) They add so much to the garden. Yours make a very pretty arrangement. :-D

3. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

That's a cool idea. I might try that with my Cortaderia selloana when I prune them back later this year. Your arrangement looks very nice. :)

4. sespegal

sespegal New Seed

Drying out grasses

All I did after I collected the stems, was to bundle them up and then I hung them upside down outside to complete the drying process.

The only problem I had were some birds, who decided that the grass made terrific nesting material and they made a bit of a mess of some of the bundles.

After they were completely dried, I just sprayed them lighlty with some clear coat and they have been in my house ever since.

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a lovely decoration your grasses make. So much better than the stuff you get in shops and it's free into the bargain. :-D

6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Very pretty. I have been discovering that native grasses make a lovely addition to my borders.

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Grass is lovely as decor, both in the borders and in the house. I've used grass as supplement for years, to borders and bouquets alike. Yours looks very nice, sespegal. :D