Native American Squash

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by dooley, Nov 4, 2012.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

A week or so ago dr and I bought two squash from HEB in Huntsville. They were on close out for two dollars each. I had not had any like these but for the price we bought two. I wanted to bake them and use them for making squash bread this winter. The recipe calls for winter squash. I usually use those yellow butternut.

[​IMG]
    Native American label ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

dr cut them and I scooped out the seeds. The meat was not orange but a greenish yellow. The seeds are about an inch or inch and a half long and quarter of an inch wide.

[​IMG]
    Native American Squash ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

I baked them in a 375 oven for about an hour before they stuck easily with a fork. The color is nicer now.

[​IMG]

Baked Native American Squash ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

My squash bread usually comes out a nice orange color. I wonder what color it will come out this time.
    I'd better try some with some butter before I use it for bread. I will freeze it in the appropriate measurements for the bread after I smash it up or put it in the blender.

I saved the seeds. There were a lot of immature ones that I tossed. The ones I saved are all gooey. Should I wash them or just dry them.

dooley

2. Loading...

3. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Dooley,
    I went looking for a name for your squash and these are what I found..
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Squash, Silver Edged (Cucurbita argyrosperma)
    Grown primarily for its nutritious silver seeds which are easy to extract and hull. Seeds are delicious when roasted and are an important ingredient in Latin American cuisine. Beautiful white fruits with green mottled stripes may be round or pear-shaped. Unpalatable flesh. 110 days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweet Dumpling (Cucurbita pepo)
    Sweet single-serving size.

Small, 4" diameter, teacup-shaped fruits average 3/4-1 lb. It has the ivory color and dark green stripes of Delicata, but in a round, flat-topped shape and dainty, single-serving size. Very sweet, tender orange flesh. Suitable for stuffing. Medium length vines. Avg. yield: 8-10 fruits/plant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Pipian From Tuxpan (Cucurbita, mixta)
    A lovely 6-lb round squash that has fine white and green stripes! Very easy to grow, and the long vines produce an incredible amount of fruit here! We collected this variety near Tuxpan, Mexico, from a gentleman at a roadside stand; he said this variety is grown for its large, tasty seeds that are used in Mexican desserts and other foods. These fruit are very seedy with loads of big white-skinned seeds that have silver rims. Inside the skin, they are filled with tender, nutty seeds that are great raw and superb roasted!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Silver Edge (Cucurbita, mixta)
    Grown for its beautiful, delicious seeds that are very large and white with silver edges, hence the name. The fruit are round-to-pear-shaped, and are white with green stripes; attractive for decorations and great for seeds. A unique squash that is still popular in some parts of Mexico.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Not that it matters an awful lot, but I was just curious..
    Hank

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Well, I haven't tasted it yet. Now, maybe I don't want to taste it. I'll have to figure out what to do with the seeds. For a big squash it didn't have many seeds. Thanks for sharing what you found, Hank!

dooley

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Dooley, if you decide to save seeds, wash them to remove most of the stringy, gooey stuff. Not all will come off, but after the seeds are dry (an old window screen is great for this) the excess stuff will rub off easily between your palms.