Nectar and host plants for butterflies

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by marlingardener, Sep 20, 2010.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We have an interesting conversation going on the Herb Forum about herbs that attract butterflies. I thought perhaps a list of plants that butterflies use for nectar or larva might be of interest. Most of the plants mentioned grow in almost all regions of the U.S. The name of the butterfly is followed by larva plants, then nectar plants.
    Black swallowtail Dutchmen's breeches, dill, parsley--fruit tree blooms, lantana and asters.
    Giant Swallowtail--hop tree--lantana, milkweed, honeysuckle.
    Gulf Fritillary--passionflower species--butterfly bush, lantana, asters.
    Long-tailed Skipper--legumes, mustards--legumes, mustards
    Monarch--milkweed species, milkweed vine--lantana, frostweed, sunflowers
    Queen--milkweed species--milkweed species, frog fruit
    Question Mark--nettles, hackberries, cedar elm--mud, tree sap, milkweed, asters
    Red Admiral--nettles, pellitory--milkweeds, asters
    Tiger Swallowtail--green ash, eastern cottonwood--butterfly weed, salvias, milkweeds, abelia
    Zebra--passion flower--mist flower,boneset, lantana

This of course is just a partial list, but if you look at the desirable plants and put a few in your garden, you will develop butterflies!

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

The Admiral butterflies are showing up here, and they love the butterfly bush, the Eupatorium purpurea and the Inula. They're also fond of our Cimicifuga, and the half-rotted plums on the ground. Unfortunately the weather's cold and wet so we won't get a lot of Admirals this year, more's the pity. All those other butterflies you're mentioning never come here. *sigh* I guess I'm just way too far north.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Same here Droopy. :( I've hardly seen any butterflies at all this year as our summer has been so lousy. I can only hope that they've bred well in England and Wales so that their numbers don't drop too drastically.