Need advice on variegated Kalanchoes

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cherylad, Jul 3, 2014.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Anybody growing these?

[​IMG]
    Variegated Kalanchoes ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

For some reason this year, I've been drawn to variegated foliage. And when I saw this kalanchoe, I just had to have it. And just bought a second one yesterday.
    Problem is, it flops over. I've had to stake it up.
    It did it once before a few weeks ago... I thought I had over-watered it. It got stronger and upright on it's own in just a day or two, so I took the stake out.
    I got home today and it was drooped over again... like it was made of rubber. So I staked it up again.
    It's on the north side of my storage building. Bright light. Barely any direct sun. I did give it a little drink last night because it was very dry.
    Any idea why it's behaving like that? Is it just too leggy? Too much light? Not enough light?
    Any advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cheryl...it is looking top heavy. IF it was mine I think I would take my chances and cut it back.. and try rooting the top part. Just my thought.
    they should be much more compact than that. maybe it isn't getting enough sun either? anything variegated seems to need more sun to compensate for the white parts of the leaf. Can you plant it directly in the ground? maybe that would be better for it, too.

My other observation of this plant is that one side is mostly white and the other green. maybe that has something to do with its growth habit. Is it supposed to be an upright one? or a trailing one and it is trying to trail?...just another thought...is all, not that I know anything for sure.

Otherwise maybe let it grow horizontally (and pinch the tip out to force new growth) and see if any little plantlets or new growth appears as upright growth. We grew flowering kalanchoes in the greenhouse, but that was many years ago and I don't remember much about the process. We grew them to flowering to sell them. as soon as they were popping some color they were out the door.

4. cherylad

The only place I've seen this plant is at the nursery. And all of their's were tall like this one... not like any other kalanchoe I've seen or grown. I've looked online without much luck.
    I picked up the short one just to see if it would get leggy or bush out.
    I hesitate to put it in the ground, I don't think they'd survive the winter here.
    I will move them to a sunnier spot and see if that makes a difference.
    Pretty things... aren't they? Now, if they'd just behave.
    Thanks Carolyn

5. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Needs hours of direct sun. Most Kalanchoes do. I bought a floppy one like that last fall and cut it into pieces, all took root, now about a half dozen plants.

[​IMG]
    Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

Thanks Purple! How many hours of sun? They're getting about 4-6 hours now.
    Did they root easily?

7. purpleinopp

Yes, mine took root within a week or two. Going from hardly any direct light to 4-6 hours is a huge jump. If possible, I might ease it into that much sun gradually. Sunburn isn't pretty but yes, 4-6 hours should be good, once it gets used to it. That's around the amount of light in which I have my Kals.

8. cherylad

Thanks Purple! I'll keep an eye on them. Sure would be nice if they would mound and spread on their own like the other Kalanchoes I have.
    :-D

9. purpleinopp

No doubt, maybe someone who has had one of these for a longer time will pop in and school us.

If you get in the mood to share pics of your other Kals, I'd love to see them. What a cool bunch! Wish I'd noticed them earlier in life.

10. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I think we just hate to chop a plant up but it is a natural process that is good. In the wild, an animal may step on a plant to sever a branch and leaving the severed part pushed into the ground to root. Maybe another animal would nip at the top for a taste snack which will allow it to bush out. I am not sure about deer and wabbits taking things down to the ground but I tell my hubby it is all for good. I guess, looking in the sunny side if things, it may make the roots stronger. :rolleyes:

Good advice..everyone..

11. cherylad

Purple... the only other Kalanchoes I have are the one's that my mom had growing by the front porch for years. Here they are from about a year ago.

[​IMG]
    Kalanchoes ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

purpleinopp likes this.
  12. purpleinopp

Those are fantastic! Thanks for sharing the pic. Looks like Kalanchoe blossfeldiana. That makes me want to put some in the ground to see if it would survive here also. It's a lot more wet here over winter (I think,) so probably more iffy. Do those in the ground go dormant for winter?

K. bloss. is one of the Kals that can propagate from a single leaf.

[​IMG]
    Kalanchoe blossfeldiana with wax Begonias ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Kalanchoe beharensis is fuzzy like an African violet. ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

[​IMG]
    2/14, looking up at Kalanchoe x houghtonii bloom stalk ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

[​IMG]
    7/14, K. x houghtonii bloom stalk still blooming, ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Potted with Schefflera arbicola.

[​IMG]
    Kalanchoe luciae, top center ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Potted with Euphorbia tirucalli, Sedum morganianum, various other cuttings.

Apparently there are about 125 species of Kalanchoe, I think I want them all!

13. cherylad

Those are neat!
    The ones in the ground here practically stay in bloom year 'round. All I do is cover them up with a sheet when it's going to freeze. They do get some burning, but keep on coming back.

14. purpleinopp

TYVM! I'm going to try it next winter. Won't have beds ready in time to plant anything like that for this year (we just moved in April.)

And TY, on behalf of the plants. I agree! I like anything that readily makes flowers while it's inside for winter, although I got each of them because I like their unusual leaves.