Need help choosing plants

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tina, May 6, 2014.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

As some of you know, I am trying to create a garden in my backyard by clearing the brushes there.
    I made rock border paths in between and want to have plants on both sides of the path. The side which is towards the house, I think is fine as it is away from the trees and I have planted a lot of plants there. But I am not sure what I should plant of the other side of the path. What will do well and fill up the space?
    Here is what I have right now. Please let me know if these are not the right plants for this area and I will move them. Also please suggest some plants which will help me fill up the area.

Speedwell and Iris
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

Geranium and not sure if you can see, but there is a rose there which I transplanted from the old house.

[​IMG]

The viburnum has small white flowers and not much leaves. This one is also transplanted from my previous garden.

[​IMG]

The snowdrop anemone.

[​IMG]

There are some daylilies here

[​IMG]

I really need help with this area. Please suggest which plants will do well here:

[​IMG]

My favorite clematis is planted here. It has some buds - but will it do well here or should I move it?

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot in advance. I really do appreciate the help!!

edited to say please let me know if plants in containers will work in these area and which ones. Thanks again!

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have found that most all older types of iris do well in the shade and bloom nicely. I have trees and a lot of shade too. Oxalis makes a nice blooming ground cover. You can add other colors and textures with some grasses. All of these take little water.
    The iris is a taller plant and the oxalis is a shorter clumping type. Grasses come in many colors. You can coordinate the bloom times with iris. They also can take poor soil and still do great. Hosta is another shade plant.
    I am assuming that under or close to the trees is partly shady ?

4. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thanks for the response Mart.
    Under and close to the trees are actually pretty bright. They even get some direct sunlight especially after we cleared the areas of the shrubs.
    What about the clematis? Do I need to move it?

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Excellent,, the plants I mentioned except for the hosta will go either way. I have never grown clematis but one lady I know had hers in a pot under a tree with part shade and hers did well. That's all I know about them. Perhaps some of the flower people will chime in on that to help.
    You have ferns growing behind in the trees ? I would incorporate them into your garden. We have to buy them here and they are not cheap.

Advertisement
  6. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thanks again, Mart.
    I do have some ferns in the back. Do you want any? I can send to you.

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

How do they fare in extreme heat ? Texas can be brutal in summer.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Clematis really needs full sun but keep the roots shaded by planting a ground cover type plant in the pot with it or near the base of it to provide shade for the roots. I like planting Alyssum with it but any short sun plant will work just fine.

9. Tina

Tina Young Pine

As far as I know, ferns needs shade. The ones I have are in very deep shade. I overlooked the fact that you are in Texas. I don't think it will do good in Texas.

10. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thanks Toni. The area does get sun (around 4-6 hours). I will put short plants around it. Does it matter that it is planted so close to the Oak tree?