Need Help Identifying this Ornamental Grass

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Stargazer, May 28, 2010.

1. Stargazer

Stargazer New Seed

Greetings,

I wonder if anyone could tell me what kind of variegated ornmental grass this might be?

Description may not be completely clear in the pictures so it is: Long blades with pink colored margins and a green stripe down the middle. Some leaves actually appear a little darker than pink, almost to a red. It looks like the whole leaf may change colors to the red. Just not sure yet what it will do.

Any help would be so appreciated.
    Thank you all,
    ºoº

[​IMG]
    Unknown Ornamental Grass ( photo / image / picture from Stargazer's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Photo #2 ( photo / image / picture from Stargazer's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have something very similar called Japanese Blood Grass/Imperata Red Baron Stargazer.

Here is a website that shows you lots of different ornamental grasses. Maybe you can spot yours among them.

http://www.alpinesandgrasses.co.uk/06grassesA.htm

4. Stargazer

Stargazer New Seed

Eileen,
    Thanks so much for taking a look and thanks for the link to. It does resemble that a lot.

I'm just hoping this isn't a plant that's going to get plumes..you know like feathery type plumes. My space would not be big enough for something flowing in great depth.

Any thoughts on that? I really like it and can handle it by trimming if it just remains in this form & no plumes.

Thanks again,
    Laura

5. eileen

Red Barons don't form plumes at all Stargazer. They're simply clump forming grasses and are grown for their ornamental value and colour. Here's another website that tells you all about them and their care. I've had mine for years and they've never grown too big and aren't invasive.

https://www.secureonlineshopping.biz/ea ... picnew.pdf

Advertisement
  6. Stargazer

Stargazer New Seed

Oh Eileen, You know how to say all the right things! LOL.

I really like this grass and it's beautiful colors and didn't want to have to part with it.
    Thank you again for taking the time to brighten my day knowing I can now keep this & plant it.

The only other possiblilty was Pennisetum 'Fireworks' (Red Fountain Grass). It does look a lot like that too.

Laura

7. eileen

Stargazer I found this website all about 'Fireworks' for you.

http://www.smgrowers.com/products/plant ... nt_id=3315

In a way, I hope your grass isn't this one as it's so much bigger than Red Baron and it will produce plumes later in the year. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it is the much smaller variety.

8. Stargazer

Stargazer New Seed

I hoping too it isn't this, in fact, that link is what made me think of the fireworks red fountain species.

I guess we'll go ahead & plant it and see what kind of a surprise we get. I'll take some pictures as it continues to grow. Let's hope I just got some cheap ole plant that doesn't do much! LOL

Thank you for all your help and links. Very much apprecited.

Laura
    ºoº