Need help w/ Furniture layout - confused and clueless :(

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by meowmeow, Apr 20, 2009.

1. meowmeow

meowmeow New Seed

Hi, i am NEW to this forum and thank you ahead of time for your help.

I am a first time homeowner and am desperately need help with the furniture layout of my new living room. It is one big bare room at the moment (have not moved in yet).

It is almost a square room.
    Walk into the front door, to the left of you is an open kitchen;
    17 feet directly in front of you is a wall of floor to ceiling windows and door that lead to the terrace;
    the wall to the right of the front door has 2 window-like glass panel as well;
    the wall where the front door is positioned is 15.5 feet wide.

I don't want to clutter the place up with too much furniture, but will probably get a sofa, a coffee table, 2 ottomans, a TV stand for our 42" TV (flat), perhaps a med. sized book case, 2 stools for kitchen counter. I also have a fish tank that is 36"L x 12"W x 24"H and would like to keep it in the living room somewhere (cannot put fish tank by places with direct light). Also, not sure what to do with shoes since i have no "hallway" - front door leads straight into the room. Attached are pics of the room, any help you can give will be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks so much.

[​IMG]
    Living room - wall opposite to kitchen (17 feet) ( photo / image / picture from meowmeow's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Living room - wall of windows/door opposite of front door ( photo / image / picture from meowmeow's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Living room - Kitchen to the left of front door ( photo / image / picture from meowmeow's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Living room - Front Door view ( photo / image / picture from meowmeow's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

That's a great looking space. I have to think about this for a bit. Are you going to have dining furniture in the area next to the end of the kitchen? If it were my space I would want to orient the main seating to take advantage of the view out the terrace (which will be gorgeous with some pretty outdoor furniture, and of course containers and plants and flowers galore!). If it is large enough (seems like it is), could you have a secondary seating arrangement for watching your television? Fun. Keep us posted on your progress. What colors do you like?

4. meowmeow

meowmeow New Seed

Hi, thanks for writing back :) I am really excited to get a reply so quickly (call me Newbie!!!)

I don't cook much, but yes, i think i will set up a small dining table and chairs in that area you pointed out. I LOVE plants and flowers, so i will definitely have lots of them out on the terrace now that i finally have a place with lot of light (used to be a basement dweller). One of the biggest dilemma for me is how to arrange living room furniture so that it gives an open flow feel to the room, view outside and i can watch tv if i am cooking in the kitchen (will attempt to - healthier and save $). I am not sure if 15.5x17 is large enough to have 2 seating areas? and that means more furniture to buy :(

I love earth-tone colors, light green; i want to keep the living room not too dark, something relaxing and sophisticated that would go well with dark chocolate brown furniture...

Have a nice Monday!