Need help with Hosta ID

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Netty, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'm still trying to ID my Hosta's. This one is my absolute favorite! The leaves are a different color of green, lighter than all the others. (although it's hard to get a picture that shows it's true color! This one is the closest I could get)
    [​IMG]
    It is the last Hosta to bloom every year, but the blooms are worth the wait! They are large, white and VERY fragrant.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a close up of the bloom
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Netty I'm no expert at IDing hostas I'm afraid but I think Droopy may be able to help you out so I'm bumping this post up for you.

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

White, fragrant blooms and a medium green - I don't know it off-hand, but I'll check for you later.

5. Droopy

Might it be a Hosta plantaginea, or one of its cultivars I wonder? Here's the link:

http://www.hostalibrary.org/p/p.html

If the flowers open in late afternoon, and the height is about 45 cm ( 18 inches), while the leaves are glossy on top and paler green and shiny beneath, I think this should be correct.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Droopy you are the best! What an awesome link to help me with my Hosta's!
    You may be right about it being Hosta plantaginea. I have never noticed what time of day the blooms open, I just know that I pass them every morning about 8 am and stop and smell them. I'll be watching now.
    Something I find very interesting from this plant from the article:
    I got this plant from a tiny slip when we transplanted this Hosta at work. It is the only one I've ever seen like it. We split this plant and put a few pieces in other gardens, all of which have since been stolen from those gardens. I find it interesting because my work is a family estate who's owner once practiced medicine in Asia (1800's) and brought back many interesting plants, some of which still thrive.

7. Droopy

How interesting! I'd love to work on a place with so much history around me. The H. plantagenia will not like it here, my book says it will not flourish further north than London.

I find that browsing the Hosta Library is very hard on my wallet. So many jewels I'd like to aquire!