Need some sage advice/wisdom

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by MelodyB, Mar 25, 2009.

1. MelodyB

MelodyB New Seed

Of course I'm just super-excited to see the seedlings I am currently growing because - well, I grew them! LOL
    But, my intention was, and still is, to try hydroponic gardening. What I would like is the opinion of those wiser and more experienced than I on if I should also just grow some of these seedlings in pots w/ regular dirt. Obviously, I am worried about not having a successful run with my first hydro unit and ruining the plants. And I read about things like 'sexing' and splitting and my brain fogs over. :)
    So, I have tomatoes, hot and regular crispy peppers and pickling-sized cucumbers sprouting. The cukes are the least of my concern, but would it be ok to plant at least 1-2 of the sprouts for peppers and tomatoes into pots? I don't have any soil prepared or an area for traditional gardening, but I have some empty pots! I figure that way I'll have a higher chance of actually being able to eat something.
    Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Melody
    my only advice I found is I went through some 'U-Tube' videos on hydroponics. I kinda also wanted to try this but may be scared it won't work and I'm not finding space inside to start the whole process. Most of the info I found says to use grow lights. This is not the way I'm interested in. As I just wanted to use this system by a window to see what would happen. I'm still researching the whole idea. I wish you good luck and hope you find the info to get started.

4. MelodyB

MelodyB New Seed

Thanks Petunia!
    Yes, a lot of people utilize grow lights because they are growing things indoors, sometimes in a completely enclosed area.(grow room) Hydroponics is very big for growing 'recreational herbs'. ;) Don't exactly want those in the garden. BUT, when it's not 90 outside, you can grow in the sun the same as regular dirt-farming from what I've read. Here in FL, the growing season will be over for outdoors in a couple months. Then I can either move inside and use grow-lights if necessary (I have what we call a 'florida room' which is all windows on 3 sides) or do what some do and use that time to wash-out equipment, etc. and wait until fall to grow again. Had I realized, I would have had my unit built already, but I was intending to leave it inside w/ the morning sunlight that streams in and the ambient light from the rest of the day. (10/11am on)

5. hydrogardener

hydrogardener Seedling

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

7. hydrogardener

hydrogardener Seedling

You may also find some useful information among the older posts on my blog. At least you can get some idea of what hydroponic gardening is about. There is a link to the blog below my signature. There are many many approaches to hydroponics.