New Chicken House At Waretropland

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by waretrop, Nov 1, 2014.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

So I like to re-purpose and salvage whatever I can to save the landfills and our money.:-D

The little house is made of pallets and stuff that would be thrown out. Crocked 2x4's and bent tin roofing and all. It is placed on cement pillions. I didn't want any chance that the bedding would be wet in the house. The roof has a good slant so snow slides off toward the back and beyond the large berm to redirect the melting snow elsewhere. The flooring is bend 2x4's and rolled linoleum. We took that out of my daughters house for an update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So if you look hard, you can see the lower section, has slide bolts and can be removed. It will allow me to snow shovel all the bedding right out to the garden where we will make a compost area. Eventually there will be hinges on that part but only when I find re-purposed ones.

[​IMG]
    In the inside we used this. Not sure how it will work but it had broken corners and was almost a gift. Easily replaced in the future.

[​IMG]
    The ramp is for when we haul food and stuff. They like it too. You can see out the door the old pen. In the ground at the bottom of a slope their bedding got wet every time it rained.

[​IMG]
    Here it is. All one. All made out of junk, almost. Windows and doors were free. Someone got new ones.

[​IMG]
    The nest boxes, 3 of them, are gifts from an old chicken farm from 30 years ago, nearby. We have had them for over a year and the chickens loved it when we moved the boxes right along with them. they took right to them and never missed a beet in laying with the move.

[​IMG]
    The grazing area is so much more than they ever had and next year the house will be doubled and so the grazing area will be also. We have netting over the top to keep out bird of prey. It was so large we have enough extra to do it 2 more times when it wears out. It was brand new and given to us by a friend. He had no use for it. Also the chain link fence has an electric fence on it to keep out fox, coyote, and bear. We will extend it much higher as we bought, brand new a new fence power source. That I didn't mind spending the money on. The old one was over 25 years old and getting weak.The chickens love the freedom. Soon, I realize, they will have all the grass eaten. I will restrict their area usage next year after when we enlarge it. I will use chicken wire to section it off and allow new grass to grow at times.

[​IMG]
    They learned well how to use the ramps and love their new home. They have to be prodded to go to bed at dusk but are learning. Last night we only had to coax the last 10 to get in the house. the house is closed up for the evening till morning.

[​IMG]
    They are doing fine grazing in their front yard now.

[​IMG]
    The feeder is a 55 gallon barrel with plumbing elbows going in and down to 4 inches from the bottom of the barrel. All the food drops down and the chickens put their head into the pipe and don't drop a one pellet.

[​IMG]
    The waterer has chicken spouts, purchased new but used in the old home. They have 55 gallons and never have fecal matter in it. Then they hit the yellow plastic the water flows down.

We will add more spouts and also we have lids for the barrels that will have cones attached to the top so the hens don't sit on the top.

[​IMG]
    As Winter comes we will have to buy a water heater to keep it from freezing. I am waiting to find it on sale. I will buy a new one of these as it would be horrible if the thing froze.

We also have to make the perches more moveable for cleaning. I cleaned it already to see how it worked and it only took me 30 minutes. Right into the garden compost pile. It sure was nice. Last time we cleaned them it took hubby weeks and many loads over to the local farmers field. It was a horrible job that we waited to do for as long as we could. This will be nicer for the chickens and for the hubby. He won't have to do a thing.

Frank, donm, carolyn and 10 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I'm sure the ladies appreciate all the extra effort you put into their shangri la. I would not be surprised if you get a knock at the door and find that the neighboring chickens want to move in.

Jerry

P.S. I did notice however, no TV. Perhaps they prefer book worms? :)

4. waretrop

:D :D No room for the chicken neighbors and no no tv....They need to keep their mind on laying eggs....

I will, however, give them shutters on the windows, a little crooked like the little grey building in one of the backgrounds pics. No window box though for they would sit in it and lay eggs there...nono...

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Holy smokes Barb, your new chicken house is awesome! They look very happy :)

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

Well, we had our first glitch. One of the water spouts came off over night. Turns out the walls of the barrel are too thick. The threads wouldn't screw in enough. :'( Poor chickens were walking on wet chips all morning. We got a trash can that should work. Another cleaning job for the mama.... :D :D :D Well I have already cleaned the pine chips and put dry ones down.

All will be well, in about an hour...I never say "die".

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a great chicken house Barb. I like the feeder and water dispensers you have made. Pity about the water spout but I'm glad you have a solution for the problem. Your chickens are clearly loving their new home and grazing area. :-D

8. waretrop

The feeder is absolutely wonderful. They don't drop one pellet on the floor. No waste. I love that.

We went back to the old 5 gallon waterers for the evening so we could take our time with the tweaking...

Will let you know how it turns out. This is a learning process and I don't mind as long as I get a good outcome.

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Color me impressed!!! That looks awesome... and didn't cost much. Double bonus points for that.
    Loved your feeder... no waste... another bonus point.
    Hope you get the water system sorted out soon.
    Well done! :stew2:

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Bummer about the waterer. Let us know how the next one works out. I am lazy. I have a kitty litter pan next to the fence and the garden hose strung across the lawn dripping into the pan all day/night.
    I feed in the hanging feeders, but worry if they are getting enough or too much. I have some who aren't laying and am thinking they are "lazy layers"... too much grain. and as expensive as grain is I hate to waste it by feeding too much.. I went to get grain the other day and the $$ was down by 2.00 a bag, though. Wahoo!

Now about that coop. Did you frame it with repurposed lumber or what? use an existing building and resided it?
    I need to fix up my coop and repurposed pallets is an excellent cost option. just more work, but now that my garden is cleaned up I would have more time to spend on that.

11. waretrop

carolyn, The framing is salvage lumber. Brand new but curved and twisted. Very very cheep.

cherylad, Thanks for all the points and doubles. LOL

12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

WOW!!! a five star chicken house. Barb you really spoil your chicks and I am sure they are real happy. The feeder is a great idea, haven't seen anything like that before.

Well done!!!

13. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Any vacancies?
    Sure looks comfie, don't know that I could enter into the egg laying regime though. ;)

14. waretrop

:D :D No chocolate. There are no vacancies. In fact,if you want to come stay with them over night you should wait till Spring and the while thing will be double the size. Then they will be able to accommodate you. :D :D

You would love to pick eggs. We get 60 to 80 eggs a day.

[​IMG]

With the move they only put a few eggs on the ground. All have been going in the next boxes where they are the most safe.

As for our little glitch! We got too tired last night but we got different washers to fix our problem. Today.....

15. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

Looks incredible. We repurpise a lot too. My chicken pen is mostly made of old fence boards.

16. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Wow! It's a chicken palace! Kudos for recycling and inventiveness. I see a lot of planning went into it for your chickens comfort, safety. and for ease of maintenance. It looks like your 'ladies' are all happy too.