New Hampshire Trees

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by film495, Apr 27, 2013.

1. film495

film495 Seedling

Southern, NH - Zone 5. Slight slope north facing, well drained moist soil. Trying to learn about the trees on the property I'm buying. I think in these I can pick out, Hemlock, Beech, Ironwood, Paper Birch, Yellow Birch ... but alot I can not tell what they are yet. Anyone good at picking out what a tree is by seeing the shape and bark like in these pictures?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from film495's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I can't identify the trees, but as an ex-upstate New Yorker, I could cry from nostalgia. Hardwood forests, old growth trees--I do miss them, and I do envy you your property. Enjoy it to the max, and someone here will be able to help you identify your lovely trees. Meanwhile, feel free to post pictures of your forest coming alive in the springtime . . . .

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I can help some. I have forgotten a lot, but I had to learn it in school
    Remember: MADDog

M aple
    A sh
    D ogwood
    These are all opposite bud trees.

almost anything else will be alternate bud arrangement on the branch.

Each variety of maple will then have a different color or shape to the set of buds. Some long and narrow, some grey, some brown, etc.

Walnut has a deeply furrowed bark.

Maple has a smooth bark in comparison.

Cherry and birch both have flaky bark. You can peel it off in layers.

American elm, if you break off a wedge of the bark, remember oreo cookies- the american cookie. It has layers of light and dark in the bark.

Get a photo of the buds and we will do our best to help you. Do get a photo of the bark and if you can tell what general shape the tree is such as vase shaped, triangular, round etc.
    Group them together so we know each individual you are wanting an ID on.

Every tree is different and has a unique set of characteristics to make it and individual species.

Number the picture so everyone can help identify without it being too confusing.

In the first picture the larger tree to the right of the two looks like a poplar to me. But in order to know which kind the bark needs to be seen or wait til the leaves are out and get a pic of the leaves

The algae covered on in #6 looks as if it could be a maple.

Frank, eileen, Sjoerd and 3 others like this.
  5. film495

film495 Seedling

Once the leaves pop and we're moved in I'll get some better identifying pictures of leaves and twigs. This is what I think I've figured out so far and a few specific questions for any experts.

In the first picture on the far left. I'm not sure what either of these 2 trees are. The one on the left alludes me, and the larger one just to the right, sort of looks like an oak, but the white markings in between the bark make me think it is something else.

2nd picture - the 2 trees in the middle, again no idea. I think the larger trees to the left and right, are probably oak trees.

3rd picture, the small tree to the left with patches, possibly sycamore? then the crooked reverse s shaped one alludes me. Some small hemlocks and then again the larger tree to the right makes me think oak.

4th picture, left of the frams, the peeling bark tree looks like yellow birch to me, the tree with the leaves stilll on is beech surrounded by a few small hemlock.

5th picture, I'm guessing this is mostly a stand of oak with some tiny hemlock sprouting up.

6th picture, tree in foreground with bluish bark and peeling somewhat like a birch would do. Going out on a limb, I'm going to say Yellow birch, and the color is due to moss or lichen on the bark.

7th picture, the smaller trees, I'm wondering if these are saplings from the mature trees, or if they might be an understory species.

Frank likes this.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The pictures are pretty far away to see the details of the bark. And not far enough to see the overall shape of the tree. So, when you can get a more detailed picture of each one that would be really helpful, bark and buds if at all possible.

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Carolyn--I know the same ancronym as:

MADogs & Horses

M-Maples
    A-Ash
    D-Dogwoods
    &
    Horse chestnuts

The birchs tend to have a birch beer odor when you scrape the bark.
    Cherry trees & their relatives can have similar shiny bark with horizontal lines as birches, but don't have that birch beer odor.

8. film495

film495 Seedling

One thing that is odd that I'v noticed about the trees is the there are some obvious fluttering aspen. When we moved in I thought they were white birch, but eventually noticed they looked different and identified them. This is the other white bark tree. A few I've noticed actually have dark bark about half the way up the tree; and they are exceptionally tall trees, as tall as very tall hemlocks nearby, and taller than some 3 foot diameter red oaks in the vicinity. The bottom half of the tree trunk is dark, and just the upper half if white. I tried to google around to see if I could see if this was normal, but didn't find anything.

9. Cayuga Morning

film496--Welcome back to the Stew! I hope you are enjoying your new property.

Are you familiar with the series of identification books by May Theilgaard Watts? There's Winter Tree Finder & Tree Finder (summer) in addition to others. They are great books, easily fit in your back pocket (3X4X1/4" big). Perfect for taking hiking or camping & they do a great job of identifying trees by buds, bark, etc.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  11. mart

mart Strong Ash

Does sound like sycamore. They get to be big trees.

12. Cayuga Morning

Those are great links Carolyn. I did not know the sycamore bark was dark close to the ground. My attention has always gone to the peeling bark.

13. film495

film495 Seedling

Thanks for the feedback, we do need some guide books and I'll look into those for sure. I'll try to post a picture of these trees. I've gotten pretty good at identifying most of the trees just by the shape and the bark, stems etc - the leaves usually tell the tale, but those won't be back for a few months.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  14. film495

film495 Seedling

mystery trees, thought they were fluttering aspen, but possibly sycamore? bark at base of tree doesn't resemble fluttering aspen to me, but what do I know.

one
    I'm not good at guessing the height, but there are canadian hemlock 25+ diameter trunks that these trees reach taller than. The bark at the top looks white like aspen, but the bark lower is much different.
    [​IMG]

two
    closer look the the canopy
    [​IMG]

three
    good shot of trunk almost to bottom, and canopy
    [​IMG]

four
    bark at about 4 feet high
    [​IMG]

sycamore? aspen? I walked my lot for a few minutes today, there's a couple areas where this tree grows in groups of 10 or 15 trees. makes me think aspen. the 2 trees in the pictures have fluttering aspen maybe 100 feet away I identified last year that I'm pretty sure about.

15. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow, Don't know anything about them but they are cool.

16. Cayuga Morning

Hi 495--

I don't know what that tree is...I just googled cottonwood, but the bark is different. How about contacting your cooperative extension agent for your county? I don't know how active/helpful these agents are in NH. I do know they are a great resource in NY state. Here is a link: http://extension.unh.edu/County-Office-Locations

Another idea: how about taking the photos to a reputable garden store that sells trees? Or, does your town have a conservation commission? Sometimes those people are very knowledgeable.

If you do discover what they are, I know we at the Stew would be interested in hearing. You have gotten me curious.