New member LoreD

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by LoreD, Jul 4, 2006.

1. LoreD

LoreD New Seed

Hi,

I am in the western Chicago suburbs and have been vegetable gardening for five years. I have a 2400 square foot vegetable garden at a community garden. I have 75 rare heirloom tomato plants, eggplants, peppers, corn, cabbages, asian vegetable, root veggies, squash, pumpkins, lettuce, spinach, and chard.

This looks like a great place to be.

LoreD

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi LoreD, you are very welcome to our friendly community here at GardenStew. Make yourself at home and don't be afraid to jump right into the 'Stew' :D

Thats quite a lot of vegetable experience you have there :eek: I would be very interested to hear about your heirloom tomatoes sometime ;)

Welcome again.

4. LoreD

LoreD New Seed

Hi Gnome,

I would be very happy to talk about it. It's been a long road from a total newbie who had never grown anything until today (although I'm still learning).

I grow all heirlooms from seed. I grow red, striped, green(ripe when green), orange, yellow, pink, black-purple, and white tomatoes. If it's weird, I grow it. When I first started my sister asked me if I was going to the trouble of growing from seed, why was I growing supermarket tomatoes. It kind of grew from that. I now give away 1200 tomato plants every spring at the school where I work. All from a potting table with grow lights in front of a window in my bedroom. I live in a condo.

I love to come on the gardening forums because I would like to learn more from all of you.

LoreD

5. Hank

Hank Seedling

Wow! 2400 sq ft of garden is a lot of garden. :eek: And 75 'maters, oh my.

Welcome from Wisconsin!

Advertisement
  6. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Welcome from Lafayette!!

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome from Scotland too LoreD. :-D I'd love to see photographs of all your different tomatoes. I'm growing yellow ones this year but certainly not on the scale you do as I only have 3 plants!!!! Still they're cropping really well and taste soooo much better than shop bought ones. :D

8. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Welcome from the thumb of Michigan where my husband is lucky if he can keep a dozen everyday tomato plants growing and producing.

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Hi there ,
    Welcome to our world :)We have lots of fun and learn so much from each other.
    I plant tomatoes 3 at the time .I wait for them to have the first tomatoe ripen and I plant 3 more when they put on tomatoes I plant three more .That way I have tomatoes all summer long.I love to share with my friends.I also planted a plant of little yellow pear tomatoes the last time .I would love to see a picture also of all your different plants.

10. Hank

Hank Seedling

Eileen, I grew my first yellow 'maters last year and wow, what flavor. The only problem was that I got them from a friend who started a few hundred in her greenhouse and she has no idea the name/variety. So this year I bought a yellow plant at a local greenhouse - I hope it's half as good as last year's. [​IMG]

11. LoreD

LoreD New Seed

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. Everyone is so nice here. When my tomatoes turn color I would enjoy posting the pictures, which means I will give it to my daughter and have her figure out how to do it.

LoreD

12. thesecretgarden

thesecretgarden Seedling

Welcome LoreD.

Ummmm....I'm hungry after reading your post... :D
    You have some interesting veggies there.