New pretties in my garden

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by toni, Sep 16, 2006.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I finally remembered to make one of the tipsy pot. The bottom pot holds Dianthus, then there are white Petunias, a yellow daisy (untagged at the garden center), topped off with an Asparagus Fern..
    That is a Hyssop to the left and Blanket Flower on the right.

[​IMG]

Maudie and Claude (he finally decided to tell me his name a few days ago) have a beautiful view. Those are the hollyhocks that have been growing even thru the hot dry summer replacing their momma plants that bloomed in April and were dead by July. No buds on them yet but we do still have at least two months of growing temps yet to come.

[​IMG]

This is a small hollyhock that started growing outside the flower bed last year (there are hundreds of those out in the yard) this one bloomed back in May and is blooming again.

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I like the Tipsy Pots and the Headboards .I found one at the thrift store here for $2.00 haven't decided where to put it but I'm going to plant my Air Potato jubabe gave me where ever.Your yard is very pretty.Is that a windmill I see there? I want a Wishing Well and Windmill so very bad.

4. toni

Yep that's my windmill. Bought it about 5 years ago on sale at what used to be McFrugal's but is now Big Lots.
    I painted the blades and the tale fin in a snowflake pattern since that is my alter ego. :-D

[​IMG]

I am getting some bricks from Lisa this fall that I plan on building a wishing well with sometime early next spring.

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Oh how Great I envy you so much.I'm gonna go :smt022 now and try try to figure a way to get one :D

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I really like the tipsy pots Toni and Maudie and Claude look right at home underneath the bird bath. :-D To think that not long ago you were considering giving up gardening too!! Nature has a way of setting everything to rights doesn't she? Your garden is certainly a credit to you.

7. toni

Yeah, back in the summer I just didn't see any reason to continue gardening if I was just going to have to watch everything die for most of the year.

Now El Nino is involved in our weather patterns again which means our winter will be milder but wetter than normal. I can handle a winter without real winter weather, afterall this is Texas and we don't always get real winter weather. If this winter is wetter, then maybe the lakes will fill up which means we will not be put on severe rationing like we will be next spring without rain this winter. Most of the lakes (which supply the cities with water) are anywhere from 10 feet to 20 feet below normal.

Anyway, the somewhat cooler weather has really been great to renew my desire to garden. I have been burning incense outside every day while I am out there to thank Mother Nature for the nice weather.

8. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Your garden is incredible! And those are gnomes under the birdbath??? Good on you!!

9. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

I like the tipsy pots - I plan on trying one in the spring with each pot a different color and planted with foliage plants. I also have the little hollyhocks growing all over - they reseed and spread a lot here.

10. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Your tipsy pots look great Toni, I love your yard as I am a big fan of garden junk too. I am going to try to finish my headboard as soon as it gets a little cooler. It needs sanding and painting. It has a history which I will tell when I post a pic.

11. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

No hollyhocks in New Orleans. We can buy them and plant them and watch them die in just a couple of weeks. Even in the winter. Too wet, I think.

12. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Your garden amazes me Toni. I can't get over how clever the tipsy pot idea is from first seeing here a few months back. So simple, so effective. You have done a fine job with yours.

Tell me, are the gnomes behaving themselves?

13. toni

Thanks everyone. I am normally the only one who sees my garden, I have really been glad to find the stew to show my pictures to.

I have moved several plants and removed some. More to move this winter. So the pictures in one of my blog entries that Randy took from the roof show a garden that is pretty different from now. Since we are getting rain the ground should be soft enough to start expanding the garden this week.

I believe the gnomes are pretty much behaving themselves, Frank. I don't see signs of havoc being reeked out there. Sometimes I do think they are so fond of the hollyhocks they want them everywhere and take the fallen seeds and run around the yard planting them...those things are coming up in a few places where I know the momma plants have never been. :eek:

14. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Love your tipsy pots and the windmill. Keep up the good work

15. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Everything looks great. So glad you got a "second wind" on gardening. We're hoping for that mild winter too.