New to Gardenstew Community

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Under the Arbor, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Under the Arbor

Under the Arbor New Seed

Hi Everyone, Came across this site and love the combination of Home and Garden. My passion for gardening and nature most definitely influences my interior decorating. I live in Ohio and we are in the middle of a very gloomy winter so am looking forward to talking dirt.

2. Loading...

3. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Hi under! I live about 30 miles northwest of Columbus, in Marysville. That's where the Honda plant is. You will like this site I think.

4. Under the Arbor

Under the Arbor New Seed

I'm already enjoying the photos in the members gallery. Being from Ohio, you know there is not one blooming thing right now. My witch hazel has blooms on it but I'm not sure if they are fresh or frozen. Seems I looked several months back and they had already bloomed. This is the first year for blossoms so I'm not sure if they actually last this long or if they are just frozen in place.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there UTA!!!!
    Great to have you here at GardenStew. :D Just take your time, look around and then feel free to join in.
    Soooo glad you found us just in time to ring in 2006.

Advertisement
  6. Under the Arbor

Under the Arbor New Seed

Thanks for the welcome Eileen. What is "General Dogsbody" in your title? Love your watering can! Barbara

7. eileen

'General dogsbody' is just a fun title for me UTA. :) Just means that I moderate the forums and add info etc in the hope that it's of interest to the other members.

Just been out to the garden and it's snowing here again. Pity it didn't snow on Christmas day though. :cry: Must get up early tomorrow to feed the birds (before they get too impatient and sit on the steps waiting for me) and try to get a photograph of the Long Tailed Tits that are visiting the feeders at the moment.

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Barbara and a BIG welcome to GardenStew :wave: I agree with Capt Kirk that you will love this site. I had a peek at the your website and I must say, very impressive :) Lots of cool stuff there. You will fit right in here :p

Looking forward to having you around. And don't forget to tell all your friends about us :p

9. Under the Arbor

Under the Arbor New Seed

Frank, thanks for the welcome. Sorry to take so long to reply. I'm new at this and didn't realize I had a new post. Thanks for checking out my website--my nephew did that for me. We are in the process of closing our brick and mortar and going exclusively online.

I just have to tell someone--a carolina wren has been visiting my feeder. I saw it for the second time this a.m. I'm so excited. Guess I'll have to clean out that wren house that I put up ten years ago that has housed nothing more exotic than house finches (not that there is anything wrong with that). UTA

10. Frank

You have a talented nephew Barbara :D

Great news about the carolina wren. Any chance of a photo?

11. Under the Arbor

Under the Arbor New Seed

Thanks for the compliment. :) I'll pass it along to my nephew. I don't want to use this site for promotional purposes, but closing the store and establishing the website is pretty much my life, so it is hard to separate. Getting back into gardening and birdwatching has been very theraputic.

Ill work on the photo, but those little guys are very flighty. I'm going to start a blog of my latest garden, so hopefully my camera will be more at the ready in the coming weeks. Another project to get me thru the coming dreary months, although I shouldn't complain, it has been a very mild winter here, at least so far this month.

12. Frank

Looking forward to your blog Barbara. Should be some nice photos in that :D

13. eileen

Oh boy another bird lover!!! :D I have a little wren that visits my garden too. It'll be interesting to se the differences between our British ones and your Carolina one. Never have managed to get a good piccie of my one yet but will keep trying.

14. Under the Arbor

Under the Arbor New Seed

I enjoyed the pics of the long tailed tits you posted on your blog. They look like they could be what we call tufted titmouse. Could they be the same thing? Whatever, they are darling!

15. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Hi Barbara, from one newcomer to another! I just arrived at the start of the week and have been made to feel very welcome. It's been very warm today in Essex, after a very very nippy start! We have wrens that graze on the bugs in the shrubs along our garden, and sparrows that are already making themselves at home in our birdhouse in our tree! Could it nearly be Spring?

16. Under the Arbor

Under the Arbor New Seed

Oooo, he is darling!