New Variety of Petunia

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by carolyn, Apr 11, 2012.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I ordered a new variety of seed form a new company this year and here are a few of them.... The one was a mis packaged seed, NOT what I ordered, but still pretty.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )
    This is lo gro opera supreme

[​IMG]
    Opera Supreme H. Basket ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )
    same variety different basket

[​IMG]
    Suposed to be candypops sunset..not even close, I think it is rose.

[​IMG]
    I think this one is the candypops deep rose.
    Both of the rose ones came from the same packet and they were mixed and mislabeled...not a good mixup for a grower expecting a coral and cream bi-color. I am sure there are a few more growers out there not expecting this in their baskets. It sure makes for a LOT of pink hanging baskets in the greenhouse :rolleyes: Looks Like I only like bright pink.

Frank, stratsmom and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Over the years, I've just picked up a six-pack or two of Petunias for "instant color". But last year, I happily accidentally bought some "wave" petunias. They did very well, in pots, all winter long with no protection whatsoever. I've been looking at the usual places, and haven't see ANY wave petunias. I did pick up a "Supertunia".
    Carolyn... I'm just curious... are your's Waves, Supers or "regulars". I'm just wondering about the differences.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, this is interesting.
    It is a shame that this has happened to you. I have had that as well...even EMPTY packs of seeds delivered.

Will you contact the supplier about this? If for no other reason, to inform them, of what is going on. Perhaps they do not know it.
    They may offer you a refund or another pack of seeds of your choice.
    I'd contact them.

I hope that your market customers are up for punk. ;-)

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Yes, it is really annoying when you end up with something not ordered. They are very pretty though, and I love pink :)

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I agree with Sjeord that you should contact the suppliers. Send them a copy of your photographs by e.mail so that they can see for themselves that the order was completely wrong. I've had some good reactions from seed companies when I've had a complaint so, hopefully, you will too.
    I do like to have petunias in the garden but would be disappointed if they were all the one colour.
    Do let us know how you get on won't you?

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cheryl, Most of my petunias are waves, candy pops or lo gro. The candy pops and lo gro are marketed as Garden Leader, but I am not sure who actually produces them. Waves are produced by Ball seed company and then distributed to wholesalers then the growers or retailers across the country.

The Logro are a more compact petunia that seem to grow in more of a mound. I have them in a basket and hopefully they will still look nice come July. That is when they start to stretch and look leggy because the growth regulators the big greenhouse producers put on them is no longer working.

the candy pops I haven't grown before, but are supposed to be good for hanging baskets as well as the flower bed and need no growth regulators.

I don't know why you aren't seeing wave petunias this year. Is the supertunia the tiny petunia flower that hold up well in bad weather? Many different marketing names are in the industry and I don't have supertunias available in my books :-? They may be marketed by a specific wholesaler.

The regulars? there are so many different types, are you thinking of the bedding petunias, multifloras, grandifloras or millifloras? my head spins when I look at the seed catalog, "WHICH ones do I try this year or do I stay with what I have grown for the last couple of years?" I decided to count the available varieties and colors to choose from in ONE catalog...242 available just to tell you how many are available.

Milliflora= 1-1 1/4 " bloom, great for beds and containers

Multiflora= better garden performers than grandifloras many hanging baskets are this type

Grandifloras= early flowering, good for pak sales with flowers 3 1/2" - 4" this is mostly the bedding petunias.

Sjoerd, I called my seed salesman and he said he would make it up to me, But how can he do that? I have just spent 3 months growing these to find out they aren't what I ordered. The cost of the seed is negligible compared to the 3 months and all the heat, growing media and containers to get to this point.

Thanks Netty, They are pretty, I agree. the color just isn't what I was expecting.

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Carolyn,
    i prefer the Opera Supreme Petunia,.. compared to the others you show,..though if i didn't see the Opera Supreme i would accept the others,..all very pretty,..but as you say not what you ordered,..thats the pits and i would be quick to respond to the suppliers.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Eileen and Philip, I did call my seed supplier, But that won't get me three months worth of growing season :rolleyes: The petunias are pretty, I am not complaining about that. I can't change that it isn't what I ordered. Oh Well!

10. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

I ordered 6 of the "Capuccino" petunia plants.... I saw it for the first time last year & have just been salivating for it! LOL! That's a really pretty petunia you rec'd; however, I think you should make company aware that you didn't receive what you ordered.

11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

No wonder you know so much about starting seeds :D
    When I go to the nursery the pinks are what I would choose. Last year I found black petunias, they would look awesome with your deep pink!! I bet if you mixed them with other colors in baskets they'd sell like hot cakes!! I know I'd buy them ;) I didn't realize there were so many different kinds.....

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I had to google the cappuccino variety. I haven't seen nor heard of it. Pretty. Enjoy that one.

Deanna, I have started a lot of seeds. My main job at the greenhouse was everything but starting the seeds :-? The owner did all of that. Since my dear husband has built me several greenhouses, now I start all of my own.

For now all the H Baskets are planted up and it's a little late to start a mixed crop for this year. Maybe next year.

13. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Those petunias are just lovely, doesnt matter what they are called.I have had some here and they are very labour intensive and thirsty, I give the privilege of being in my garden to less thirsty plants, love the colours of those though.

14. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I googled cappuccino too~ Very pretty! I will be on the lookout for those!!

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks Chocolate, They are bright, that's for certain!