Newbie from Southern Maine, need advice

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by davjcross, Mar 24, 2012.

1. davjcross

davjcross New Seed

Hello, I am pretty excited about joining your community. I have been gardening for years (15-20) and I think my eagerness exceeds my skill set, but I have a lot of fun. This years I am starting a lot of native wildflowers, forbes. I actually planted an acre wildflower field and have my fingers crossed. I do have a bit of a problem I would love to have your thoughts on. I start many seeds inside on mats under the lights. I start wave petunias in Feb. every year and have been very successful until last years. I get the same seeds, same company every year. Last year they came up on schedule. They reached ¼ to ½ inch and started their second set of leaves and went dormant. They didn't grow any bigger for two months and made it to the compost pile. I am worried about this year. Other seeds are growing normally but I am concerned about my petunias. Any thoughts, advice. Thanks and again I am pleased to be here. Dave

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I don't have any advice... but just wanted to say hi and welcome from SE Texas.
    Before long, someone will come along and help you out.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I grow waves every year to sell, but I have not had them stop growing. Do you fertilize them after they have their first true leaf? or are you waiting on them to grow a little?,

As soon as they are big enough to prick out of the starting mix, I plant them in cell packs or baskets. I fertilize regularly. They seem to be heavy feeders. I measured my compost for fertility this year (just to see what was available for the tomatoes) and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of real fertilization, it just adds nice humus to the soil. Otherwise I would have no idea why they seem to be stunted.

Oh Yeah, Welcome! I missed the forum title and didn't think to welcome you when you said you were new...duh! I was more worried about replying to the question. sorry.

5. growingwithtime

growingwithtime New Seed

Hi!

Welcome from a fellow newbie! :) I'm excited to be a part of this forum as well. :) Petunias are lovely plants. I look forward to seeing pictures of some that you have raised. That dormant thing has happened to one of my African violets and I'm kind of boggled by it. I haven't fertilized in a while, so that is what I am going to try. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to reading further posts!

-Leigh

Advertisement
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Davjcross-A big welcome from Wisconsin. Glad you found this great friendly and helpful community of Stewers. Hope to see some pic's of your gardens and projects. We LOVE pic's of what you are up to. :stew1:

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome to GardenStew Dave from Scotland. It's great to have you here with us on our forums. :stew2: