Newbie from the top of California

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by williebb123, Mar 12, 2013.

1. williebb123

williebb123 New Seed

hey guys and gals im a california transplant from nashville where i was born and raised im 49yrs old have been killing plants for at least 39yrs i enjoy growing fruits and berries some vegetables ( i am a very picky eater im more of a meat and potatoes guy)i like growing all kinds of beans,potatoes, corn and even a few things i dont like cause i can at least give them away i also enjoy growing all types of flowers and vines i like woodworking projects that i can use in the garden. I moved to Mt Shasta jan 1st 2012 to be with my girlfriend we live with her 82yr old mother who needs constant care and the house needs alot of attention thats where i come in. This 1st yr i completely remodel the kitchen with new windows,cabinets ,granite counter tops, new hardwood floors ,new washroom yadda yadda you get the picture the house hasnt seen any attention for 15yrs so theres plenty of projects to go round at least i can do all the work myself from carpentry,plumbing,electrical,roofing just a jack of all trades but i really enjoy all the outside stuff. Out front i planted 13 assorted blueberry bushes 2 cherry trees,the deer came by and started nibbling so had to build an 8ft fence to keep them out.In the back i built 4 garden boxes for the vegetables cause mountian living there is no soil just rock but coming from tennessee it was something to be a work in progress. Tried to do the organic thing since i had to make my own soil you know the recipe peat,cow poop,chicken poop ,perilite,vermiculite needless to say it was ok but not what i am used to oh by the way you have to irrigate here cause last summer we only got 1/4in of rain which is about the norm here all the water comes in snow form this winter we have a total of 74 inches of snow gheesh well im kinda rambling here but got alot of plans outside this year will post some pics just wanted to let everybody know who and what i am great finding this place i want to do some seed swaps with some of yall maybe can give me some tips dealing with the weirdo california laws i even have to get a stamp when i go to oregon to buy bare root stuff and dont even think about bringing something thats got any soil on it whew ok im done talk to you folks later

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Greenbeans
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. New at planting
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there Will and welcome to GardenStew from Scotland in the UK. :-D
    I could certainly do with someone like you around here as my kitchen badly needs to be replaced - among other things.
    You must show us some photographs of the work you've done and, of course, ones of your garden too.
    Ask as many question as you like, none are too trivial, as there is always someone here who can give you a helping hand.
    I look forward to getting to know you.

4. williebb123

williebb123 New Seed

thank you so much would love to visit scotland some time my girlfriends mom is a sweden lady she wants to go back b4 her time on earth is done so who knows

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi Willie :wave:
    Welcome to Gardenstew from southern Ontario!

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Willie and welcome. I am sorry I can't help you with any weirdo laws or weather there, but you can probably educate us as you get educated. We will enjoy the experience right along with you. (Personally, I wouldn't move to California for nothing due, but it might be a great place to visit...) I can say though, the article that Cal. was banning coke and pepsi last year was an education for me, though. I am allergic to formaldehyde and couldn't figure out where I was being exposed to the chemical...for pity sake, it is used as a part of the preservative in the caramel coloring for each of the sodas...SHEESH! talk about crazy. You have no idea what you are consuming.That is about the only help I can think of that may or may not help you :rolleyes: that I know of for Cal. laws. Is the pepsi/coke still being sold there? That would be a real uproar if they were able to actually ban those drinks, huh?

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Willie and a hearty welcome to GardenStew. I hope you can share your woodworking / gardening experiences with us here, we will be happy to hear them! Best of luck.

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Hi and welcome from SE Texas. Can't wait to see those woodworking projects and gardens.

9. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Willie, welcome to GardenStew from Chelmsford, MA. You have come to the right place for gardening advice. You sure are busy. I can empathize with you as I have done most of the same things. There is always something to do, fix or build. We do like pictures if you get a chance. Welcome aboard.

Jerry

10. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Another hearty 'Welcome aboard' from Alabama! Wonderful lovely people here and you sound like you'll fit right in..
    Hank

11. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Willie sending you a big welcome aboard from a Wisconsin Stewbie. You have found a great friendly and informative online group. Looking forward to seeing your handy work. Both inside and outside your new home.
    You will have to look into building some rain barrels to catch what rain you do get. But I guess if it is like last year your barrels would be of no use. ;)

12. williebb123

williebb123 New Seed

yeah no rain barrels we are on a well and let me tell ya i have to store it in large green trashcans cause it is so cold it shocks my plants so each day i refill in the morning so it sits in the sun all day for tomarrows watering

13. donm

donm In Flower

Hi and welcome from PA.

Don

14. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Hi Willie, Welcome to the Stew. Glad to have you, and look forward to hearing and seeing more from you.

15. enchanté jardinier

enchanté jardinier New Seed

Welcome

Welcome to you !

Here 25 F during winter,, i would like it like california ;)