Newbie in need of Tropicanna flower help!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by missa009, Jun 3, 2013.

1. missa009

missa009 New Seed

I purchased 4 Tropicanna's that are just over a foot tall. Two in green and two in the purple color. I put all 4 inside a very large pot with drainage holes. It gets morning shade but full contact light after noon until sun down around 8pm. Here in El Paso we get very high winds so i have it where it doesn't recieve full force but still get some.

My question is: My leaves are all turning brown on the tips and a lot of the leaves are tore and wilting. I give it water everyday because i know they are more tropical and the pot does drain VERY well. What can i do to help them? I can provide a photo if needed. Thank you!

2. Loading...

3. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

I'm don't know these plants. But what time of day do you water? If you water during the hottest part of the day the leaves can get burned. Its best to water in the morning, its ok to get leaves wet then but its better to water the soil. Good luck :)

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Missa, welcome to GardenStew.

I am guessing that you are talking about Canna 'Tropicana' the two with purple leaves but the green leafed ones are another cultivar of Canna.

Stop watering every day, too much water will cause leaves to brown and wilt just as much as not enough water will.
    Canna can be a bog plant but they will also grow just fine in soil that isn't watered very often. I have a stand of them in a spot that I water maybe once a month and they are doing great.

Since they are under stress from being transplanted and possibly over watered, you might want to switch the sun/shade time until they settle in. Morning sun/afternoon shade...too much sun in a stressed state will kill them.

Frank and Mrs. Galeassi like this.
  5. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

Yes I agree. They don't need to be watered every day. Let them dry out between waterings. Less water, and more humidity. They love heat and humidity. Stand each of the pots on a wide tray of pebbles, and you will create a humid micro-climate around the plants.

Advertisement
  6. missa009

missa009 New Seed

That is great advice thank you so much!! I hope i can bring them back by not watering them so much. I guess i read into the tag to much that they like "moist" soil.

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

You said you put all of them in a very large pot? How big is it? If they are anything like the Cannas that grow around here, they are going to need alot more space... and probably very soon.

8. missa009

missa009 New Seed

Here is a photo i just took so you can see.

[​IMG]
    browning and tearing photo ( photo / image / picture from missa009's Garden )

9. missa009

missa009 New Seed

Maybe putting 4 in one pot was a bad idea? The people at Lowes told me they would be fine. :/

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from missa009's Garden )

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'd put each one in their own pot that size (no more than two per pot though). They may be fighting for what water/nutrition that's available. And until they look happy... I'd do as suggested... let them have morning sun only.
    And keep in mind... alot of times at places like Lowes... some of the workers in the nursery area have no clue about plants. They could just be in that section working that day because a regular attendant is out.
    So... don't take everything they say to heart... do a little reading-up on your own.
    And when all the info you find online boggles your brain... just pop in here for some clarification and advice.
    :stew2: