Newbie in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by mamma_buddha, Jun 12, 2006.

1. mamma_buddha

mamma_buddha New Seed

I'm from Oklahoma and I'm new to all this. My husband and I just bought a house and we are looking at ways to liven up the yard. Neither one of us have much experience with gardening as we have always rented in the past. So far I have done only a couple things. I made a mosiac in a little area in the front of the house and then planted some sweet alyssum seeds in between the chunks of granite. They were supposed to germinate within 10 days and it only took them about 5 before I started really seeing them. They only took to about half of the area. I think the other half was too wet and the seeds washed away. I'll have to figure out something for that. Also I planted some Lily of the Valley on the north side of the house and out of 25, I have about 12 that took. They are green and no flowers yet so I'm crossing my fingers for next year. Our next project is to dig up all the grass between our garage and house as it's a pain to mow there, lay down that black paper, plant some hedges, and lay down some river rock with a walkway. Also we have a Butterfly Bush to put around our pond/fountain. I am interested in other flowers that attract butterflies so if anyone has any suggestions of plants that are hard to kill (haha)by all means please let me know. We are in zone 7. I do not have a speck of green on my thumb but hopefully by next summer it will have turned a light shade of green. Thanks and I look forward to chatting with you all!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Greenbeans
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. New at planting
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there Mamma Buddha. :-D

[​IMG]

It's really nice to have your here. :D It must be exciting owning your first home and having a new garden. There are plenty of folks here who can give you advice and tips so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Looking forward to your posts. :)

Edited to say a belated [​IMG] to you and I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your special day. :-D

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Welcome Mamma and a big shout to all in Oklahoma! You've come to the right place to learn lots of great stuff and more importantly have a LOT of fun in the process :D I'm sure that before too long you will have a 'green hand' if you hang out with us :eek: :D

By the way I noticed you celebrated your birthday on the 2nd. So sorry we missed it :( But here is a belated birthday greeting... Happy Belated Birthday to you! :smt113

Looking forward to getting to know you. Don't forget to add yourself to our member map and check out the fabulous blogs written by the members.

// Frank

5. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Welcome and Happy Birthday Mamma Budda. I love butterflies also. I have zinnias planted to the right side of the driveway and every evening when I get in from work the butterflies are flitting from one flower to the next. They are an annual, easy to grow from seed and very hardy.

Advertisement
  6. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Welcome, Mamma! Good to have you joining us - there is nothing like getting to have your first house and to play with your very own yard. Best of luck with all your plans - it sounds like you are off to a good start. I know there are lots of places online that give plant lists for butterflies, it would be worth searching a bit to see what might grow well in your area that attracts them - I know two fairly hardy plants in my yard they like are daisies and candytuft, if you want smaller things to fill in .

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I took this list from my blog for you MB - hope it helps.

'Must have' wildlife attracting plants.

Category: Plant lists | Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:47 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1.) Ornamental Onion. Allium Hollandicum. 'Purple Sensation.'

2.) Snowy Mespilus. Amelanchier Lamarckii.

3.) Michaelmas Daisy. Aster Novae-Angelica.

4.) Barberry. Berberis Darwinii.

5.) Butterfly Bush. Buddleia Davidii.

6.) Cotoneaster. 'Coral Beauty.'

7.) Foxgloves. Digitalis Species.

8.) Globe Thistle. Echinops Species.

9.) Sea Holly. Eryngium Species.

10.) English Lavender. Lavender Angustifolia. 'Hidcote.'

11.) French Lavender. Lavender Stoechas.

12.) Weeping crab. Malus. 'Red Jade.'

13.) Oregano. Marjoram.

14.) Catmint. Nepeta Sibirica.

15.) Mock Orange. Philadelphus. 'Beauclerk.'

16.) Dog Rose. Rosa. (Single) species.

17.) Sage. Dalvia Officinalis.

18.) Cotton Lavender. Santolina Chamaecyparissus. 'Small Ness.'

19.) Scabious. Scabiosa Species.

20.) Ice Plant. Sedum Spectabile.

8. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Hi and welcome to the Stew Mamma Buddha. Belated birthday wishes for me as well!! I look forward to getting to know ya better. Blanket flowers,zinnas,and bachelor buttons are some of the easiest flowers for me to grow. None of them require a lot of fuss!

9. mamma_buddha

mamma_buddha New Seed

Thank you all for the welcomes! I will look into all the flowers you've mentioned. The only thing I don't like are annuals cuz I'm rather lazy (hahaha) and don't want to keep planting everything new each year. Plant em once and cross my fingers. Perhaps I will change though. I do like bachelor buttons...I remember my mom having them when I was growing up. Again thanks for all the welcomes AND the belated bday wishes. And don't worry, if I have any questions I will be sure to ask!

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Glad to have you with us will look forward to reading your blogs and hopefuly pictures .Try some Hibiscus
    you don't have to replant if you cut them back and cover them up far winter with leaves a opine needles lightweight things.

11. SwissCharrd

SwissCharrd New Seed

Another way to get rid of a grassy area and do plants is to make a lasagna garden. You lay down thick newspaper, then layer peat moss, lawn clippings, compost...and keep layering with the last 3. Overwinder the area and then the next spring you have lovely stuff to plant in. If you want to put down something at that time for weed control you can and then slit X's to place the plants into and then mulch over that.