Newbie to herbs

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Bumpeh, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Bumpeh

Bumpeh New Seed

So for the most part I'm new to herb gardening and gardening in general. I was wondering if anyone knew some cheap and easy to grow herbs, I was also interested in seeing if there were any kind of herbs I could grow in the winter here, in Florida. I'm thankful for any help or advice I get on here.

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

There are several methods to continue herb gardening during the winter months. A package of seeds, a pot of soil, water and a window will give you an easy start. There are also several herbs that you can start from cuttings. Where do you get cuttings out of season you may ask? Your local grocery store supplies herbs for cooking some of which can be rooted in a glass of water.

Basil, oregano and thyme, rosemary and sage from the store will give you a alternative source of plants when the nurseries are busy with their fall and winter programs.

Jerry

4. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

Are you interested in herbs for eating, herbs to make soaps and lotions, medicines?

Herbs that are good to start in cooler weather are parsley, cilantro, dill. You should plant these as seeds, as there is a long narrow root, called a tap root, that does not do well when transplanting from one area to another. Make sure some plants bloom and reseed, and they will continue to regrow each year.

Herbs that grow well from cuttings that can be put in water, are basil and mint. Basil will not want to be outside when the weather is less than 50 degrees at night. Mint, always keep it in a pot, as it can spread and become a weed.

I really like my evergreen and perennial herbs. Rosemary, sage, oregano, thyme. I have always bought them as a small plant, not grown them from seed. They transplant well, and could be put in the garden most anytime in Florida.

Ask neighbors, friends, teachers, if they have partially used seed packets, or if they have some plants that you can get some seeds from or cuttings from. Volunteer at a local organic farm or co-op if there is one nearby.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What part of Florida do you live in?
    Northern Florida will have some cold weather that means you will need to have a nice warm, full sun windowsill available.

Central Florida you can leave them outside planted in pots, just bring them in when the weather forecast has a hint of below 50 degree temps.

South Florida....you can pretty much grow anything, even stick a toothpick in the ground and it will grow roots ;) I lived in south Florida for a few years and loved the growing climate there.....not the large bugs so much though.
    Herbs in south Florida will be just fine outside, maybe in pots just in case you get a rare cold front.

The basic Herbs and easiest to grow are Basil, Sage officinalis, any Mint (keep them in pots or they will take over the space available and then some), Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano. Lavender.

Henry Johnson likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

The list of herbs you've been given are great, and you'll enjoy using them all.
    I'd add chives, which are easily grown and harvested a bit at a time.
    Also, a bay laurel (laurus nobilis) or sweet bay tree is a wonderful herb to have. Make sure you get the bay laurel, not the California laurel (umbellularia californica)which has a stronger flavor. The bay laurel can be kept in a pot and brought inside during cold spells, but it is very appropriate for Florida growing. A fresh bay leaf in a stew or in a roasting chicken is so much better than those dried out leaves from the grocery!

7. Bumpeh

Bumpeh New Seed

Thanks for all the help and advice so far, I'll look into growing those, I live in central Florida, just so you people know, I am indeed interested in herbs for their medical properties, but I've also wanted to make home made salsa using cilantro before. Do you guys have any advice that would help when I'm growing inside to deal with cats? We have 3 cats and they just love to chew plants, and I'm sure they'd love to get their teeth sunk in some herbs, even though I'd hate that. I also wanted to ask if there are any simple herbs that could perhaps help improve focus and concentration, I have trouble in that norm and I seek as much help as I can get from anything. Thanks for so far of your advice and kindness.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Grow your cats some cat grass. Maybe that would help.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

If your cats like to snack on greenery, the only thing that will deter them is either surrounding your herbs with something prickly, like rose trimmings (not very decorative for potted herbs in the house) or keeping the cats out of the room where the herbs are growing.