Newcomer from Central Florida - Hello All!

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by mylonite, Aug 3, 2008.

1. mylonite

mylonite New Seed

Well, I've been trying unsuccessfully to manage a vegetable garden here in Volusia County, Florida for several years. For the past couple, I have grown more interested in heirloom (well, open-pollinated at least) veggies. For reasons sometimes within and sometimes beyond my control, I have had varying shades of terrible results.

Once again, I am determined, and have decided that I'm going to take advantage of our extraordinarily long growing season here and attempt one (very late) planting of summer veggies. I figure I'll need some support and encouragement, and have come here because of some fantastic reviews I've found on the web. I understand this is a nice group of like-minded folks - looking forward to getting to know you all.

PS - I have a bunch of 'extra' heirloom veggie seeds I'll be offering up for trade in the near future. I attempted to choose varieties that should survive Florida's hot but unpredictable summers. Any locals (or folks in even hotter climates) interested in a few heirloom bean, tomato, or pepper seeds for a late planting, speak up!

2. Loading...

3. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Welcome to the Stew Mylonite... from east Texas. This is a very friendly bunch with much knowledge about gardening and many other things. So you have come to the right place. I know you will like it as much as we all do! :stew1:

4. PepperDude

PepperDude In Flower

Howdy and welcome to the Stew Mylonite from N.E. Mississippi. I grew up in central Fla. Apopka, Fla. to be exact.

5. mylonite

mylonite New Seed

Thanks for the warm welcome!

..and PepperDude, Apopka is practically right around the corner from me! My cousin&family used to live on Pebble Lane (v. small road, just off of Rock Springs Rd) and I spent a lot of time at Wekiva when I was young. A small world it is =)

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Mylonite and a big welcome to GardenStew. There will always be someone to lend a helping hand or provide support here so you have come to the right place :D

Don't forget to check out our blogs, member map and upload any plant images you have to PlantStew for all to see :stew1:
    Details here: http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/help#3

// frank

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi Mylonite :wave:
    Welcome to Gardenstew from southern Ontario!

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

WELCOME Mylonite from a very wet Scotland. Good luck with your late planting. I hope everything grows well for you. :stew2:

9. Peppersage

Peppersage In Flower

A big welcome from Kansas City too, hope you have fun.

jeffrey

10. PepperDude

PepperDude In Flower

Aw man there wasn't a better day than canoeing down the Wekiva River ! And the fishin was great too! Well all except the gater population.

11. Creative_1

Creative_1 New Seed

Welcome from Wisconsin!