NEWS: Crazy Bridges for Animals!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by S-H, Oct 10, 2014.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

It's something we hardly ever think about, which town amd city planners also neglect - But now the trend seems to be changing. Therefore I am now compelled to share this with everyone over here. And I wish you all will share this with everyone else you know!

http://sciencealert.com.au/features/20140910-26306.html

This world is not just our exclusive domain, we share it with every other creature also. So let's respect nature, and be mindful of how our existence affects them too...

:stew1:

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I have seen the animal bridge across the trans Canada highway in Banff National Park. It has saved countless animals from incounters with vehicles. I talked to a park ranger who, after the bridge was built, installed a motion sensitive camera to determine what kind of animals were using the bridge. The first results had a surprising 35 photos. When the pictures were reviewed the camera had taken 35 pictures of a nut gathering squirrel traveling back and forth to his hidden cache. Raising the camera solved the problem.

Jerry

S-H likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have special toad, hedgehog and badger crossings on some of our roads here. The only thing is the animals can't read signs about where to cross and don't realise the tunnels were built for them.

5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

We have 8 foot tall deer fencing on both sides of the highway and deer tunnels or overpasses to help them get from one side to the other but it is only over the pass. The main failure I've seen is that both ends are accessible and I have seen one deer that entered the corridor and then couldn't figure out that she had to turn around and backtrack to get out. I felt so sorry for her running up and down the fence trying to find a way over the fence.