No Iris blooms for me

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by dirt2diamonds, May 22, 2008.

1. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

I planted some new Iris' in fall/winter 07 and they have been thriving and are very large, but do not seem to want to bloom. In the past I just stuck the tubers in the ground and had blooms.

Is it normal for Iris' not to bloom and how to get them to bloom next season. I haven't given up hope on them because my white Asiatic lilies have not all bloomed yet and my Iris usually bloom around the same time.

Thanks for replies.

2. Loading...

3. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

D2D, what type of iris are they. I have had bearded iris not bloom the first season, some just take longer to establish.

4. Papa2mykids

Papa2mykids Seedling

Sometimes, new Iris don't bloom the first year, esp. if you got them in the ground to late.

Another thing, did you plant them to deep? Iris like to be at ground level, not buried a couple of inches down. If you fertilize, to much nitrogen will promote green growth, but no flowers. Plant in full to mostly sun.

Ron

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

It took a few seasons before my Iris finally bloomed d2d.

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I think they are all right. I've learned from experience not to plant them too deep!! I was told or read somewhere that the sun baking the top of the tuber is what forced it to bloom :shrug: Don't know if it's true or not but it worked for me ;) Once they get established you will have a beautiful garden :sete_011:

Deanna
    :-D

7. flowerpower313

flowerpower313 Seedling

At least half of the Iris corm should be above ground. If they are at the right depth, I wouldn't worry too much if you just put them in last fall. Give them another yr.

8. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

I don't think that I planted them too deep and they are bearded Irises and their first year. The foliage looks healthy. I will just keep an eye out this year and check this fall on the depth for sure. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

9. Allison

Allison New Seed

Iris

Our didn't bloom this year either -- I guess I have to wait for next year. Didn't know about planting depth. Thanks for the tips.

10. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Mine have bloomed every year except last year because of the drought here. :( This year I had "1" to bloom . . . :!: I don't know what is going on with mine either D2D. Could they be hurting still from last year's drought, perhaps?????? :rolleyes:

11. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

D2D my bearded irises all didnt bloom the first year after planting. As long as the foliage looks healthy I wouldnt worry over them.
    Song of Joy It could be due to the drought. They may need a little boost. Composted cow manure top dressed on the beds may help. As long as another drought isnt in sight.