Norwegian in New York

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Anemone, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Anemone

Anemone New Seed

Hi everyone!

I'm a norwegian girl who just moved to Long Island, NY. I had a house and a garden back home for several years, but now I rent an apartment. Luckily I have the nicest landlords you can imagen, an elderly couple that are no longer capable of maintaining their garden, so I can pretty much do what I like out there. So far I have only weeded the flower beds, and dug up and planted a vegetable garden. And of course I have to many plants growing from seeds to ever be able to place them.

My biggest passion when it comes to gardening are seeds. I used to saw around 300-500 different species every year, all from seed exchange, mostly perennials. Unfortunately I had to leave my seeds in Norway, so now I'm building up a new collection. I'm the type of girl that always brings zip lock bags in my purse, in case some seeds should show up....

I never been able to take care of my indoor plants, but my husband (who was known for his lack of green thumbs) is set on a indoor jungle, so that's gonna be the new challenge.

I also love taking pictures in the garden, of plants and insects.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Anemone's Garden )

Jewell likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Welcome to Gardenstew. Lots of members post seed exchange lists and if there are some you want or need you can post a list and other members may have them to exchange. You can get lots of information on house plants, also. Join in and ask and you'll always get a reply.
    dooley

4. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Hi Anemone, that is a nice photo! What is it anyway? Welcome from a far away land where it is usually hot and humid but planting is year round!!

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Welcome to GardenStew Anemone, you have happened across the friendliest group of gardeners on the web. There is never a dull moment. Whenever you need it, always a helping hand. Knowledgeable people from around the world contribute to the forums, plants, blogs and discussions. We are glad to have you aboard.

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Welcome from SE Texas! Yes... what is that in your photo?
    Can't wait to see what all you accomplish in your landlords gardens.

7. Anemone

Anemone New Seed

The picture is of a Cetonia aurata, also called rose chafer.

I actually visited Malaysia once, long ago, back in 1995. I even think I spent a night in Malacca, on the way to Kuala Lumpur. Nice country! Don't know if I could take planting year round though, I would be exhausted :D

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Anemone and a hearty welcome to GardenStew. How does life in New York differ from life in Norway? Apart from being more fast-paced :) Glad to have you along.

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there Anemone and welcome to our forums from sunny Scotland. Love your photograph of the chafer. I have a feeling you're going to fit in here just fine. :stew2:

10. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Hi Anemone...welcome to the stew a friendly and informative place to visit. Both of my maternal grandparents were born in Norway and met when & married in NYC. They are both deceased buy my love of gardening comes from them. :stew1:

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Welcome to the Stew from the generally windy, rainy coast of northwestern Norway. :D I bet you didn't expect to run across a fellow countryman on an international gardening forum, did you?

I'm looking forward to reading about your gardening projects, and your indoors jungle project too. I kill every potted plant I bring home, so now I just leave them in the shops. :D

12. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Hi Anemone,

Glad to meet you. Cool bug picture. I guess I will take Eileen's word that it is a 'chafer' since I have never seen one like that before. I like to take bug pics too. We have a large king snake in the garden. He is harmless as long as he stays away from me. He eats rodents and poisonous snakes, I think. I saw a salt and pepper snake in my garden a few times, he also is harmless. As long as they dont get too chummy, I will tolerate them. :stew1:

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hello Anemone :wave:
    Welcome to Gardenstew from southern Ontario!

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Anemone, from (today only) sunny Wadsworth, Ohio. I think the rest of the week it is supposed to be dreary and wet again. I guess eventually we will get used to it.

15. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Welcome to GS, a place where everyone is your friend! :)
    We also have a seed exchange section too, in case you'd like to start building your seed bank again.

16. Anemone

Anemone New Seed

It's really not that different - or maybe I'm just really adaptable :rolleyes:

I work from home, like I always have (got my own company), and spend every sunny moment (haven't been to many of them so far) with my hands in the dirt.

I'm am not to impressed with public transportation over here though, I seem to be the only walking adult around. Need a car!