Nothing Beets New Potatos

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jul 6, 2024.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We have been working in the lottie when we can. There is the weeding (when is it not on the list), harvesting, transitioning plots, planning for the fall crops, crop care…and then there is the weather.

Mowing the grass paths, edging them and watering must happen about every two weeks.
    IMG_4132.jpeg

The blueberry bushes had to be covered to keep out the merels, tits and chiff-chaffs.
    IMG_4135.jpeg

Then the broadbeans— they have all been harvested, so time to lift the plants, cut the roots off for later use and chop up the stalks and leaves for the compost bin.

Here are the broadbeans a couple of months ago:
    upload_2024-7-6_14-16-3.jpeg

Then now:
    IMG_4138.jpeg

It looks so pitiful, doesn’t it. Well, then it gets weeded, raked and made ready for planting green manure and some fall crops.
    IMG_4171.jpeg

The marigolds that I had planted there to keep the blackfly away can now be repurposed. Some will stay in situ but others will be moved to decorate bare spots.

The little tuttetuin at the edge of one of our zitjes is beginning to fill out a bit now. You can see the last trug with chopped broadbean stems awaiting transport to the compost staging area.
    IMG_4130.jpeg

Ahhhh, but what about that eccentric thread title then. Well we wanted to check out the Jazzy spuds for one quality check and evaluation meal. The beetroot are coming along now and so we harvested a few to eat with supper and we froze-in two meals.
    IMG_4170.jpeg

My posting has been erratic and at times missing lately. It is the old excuse of too much work and being tired at days’ end. I find myself making mental notes and taking snapshots for use later. I try and do this in a coherent way, but alas. What you guys end up seeing are pics taken from who knows when, posted with some sort of superficial text.

I do hope that some of you will enjoy the postings, and for me it is a way of remembering and setting some sort of sequence in my head for next season.

Anyway mates, I do follow your postings, even if I do not comment on them as soon as I should. They are such an important aspect of our gardening life.

Frank, Netty, Pacnorwest and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

You have been very busy to craft such a well maintained veg garden. It’s Beautiful.:smt041
    Every post is different and with amazing progress. I like to see your posts showing plants grown from seed - a miracle still in my eyes. That little seed is a huge package to our future. Many like shopping on the internet , not my cup of tea … I enjoy watching the gardeners posts , their gardens , watching their style , care and knowledge. In each new pic posted there is always a lesson. That’s what makes my day.;)

Netty and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for your very nice and complimentary note. Good to read before I trundle off to bed.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looking good Sjoerd. I love how you have covered your blueberries. I was trying to figure out a way to keep the birds away - I was going to get DH to build a chicken wire cage, but your way looks much easier! I simply can not wait to dig my spuds, or even have new potatoes available at my grocery store. All I've been able to get are Russet, and I am not a fan of those.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Netty— That netting is made from sheer curtains that I picked-up at one of the goodwill stores. It is an inexpensive way to net one’s crops.
    I know what you mean, Re: Russets.
    We grow sort of “gourmet”-style spuds primarily. The Russets have a completely different texture and flavour.

Pacnorwest likes this.