Now where are they….dig…..dig….dig?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Documentation pictures are not, for the most part, meant to be glamorous. After all the message they convey is one of information. Parameters such as location, spacing, size, color, grouping and timing are just some of the elements secured in a photograph. It is frustrating to dig a new hole for spring bulbs only to find that the hole is already occupied and perhaps some of that occupant is scattered amongst the tailings of the hole. Case in point: last year I purchased Daffodils to refresh the 35 year old groups that dotted the yard. All the present plants were asleep having had their time last spring. One particular group had been flowering each year next to an Andromeda. Last year for the first time, no flowers. The bush had slowly expanded and now shaded the flowers. No longer did the flowers shine in a springtime sun. It was time to move the bulbs and the many offspring. I knew the approximate location but being fall and the dead vegetation had long been removed, the exact location was a mystery. Dig, dig, dig. ….???….???…several holes later, not wanting to imitate the local chipmunk(another story) I decided to wait till the spring and find them as they emerged from their winter slumber.

EUREKA!!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Lost Daffodils ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

If I had done this in the first place they would be enjoying the sun right now.

Next fall will find them in a new location.

A picture is worth a thousand holes(O.K., small exaggeration) :)

Jerry

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I know only so well how that is. This year I am not waiting until the Daffs to go fully dormant. I getting them dug before they go into hiding. Daffs are very wily you know often to their own demise. I'd swear they moved some every time I've marked their where abouts. Good luck getting them corralled and onto new pastures.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Why wait until fall? I have a patch of Daff's that I dig up each year after they are done blooming. I store them in a cool, dark place until fall when I re-plant them. You could move them this spring, just make sure to keep the foliage on them.

5. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Interesting post! I've had a lot of this going on the past few weeks - trying to 'find' all of the plants I want to keep before we move, most of which are bulbs, and many of them are dormant or just barely poking up. Found everything except Caladiums and Cucurma! Nice patch of Daffs you have there.

6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Since they are just popping up, would it work to move them now?