Oh yeah, we have bunnies!

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by marlingardener, Jul 17, 2023.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

cottontail.jpg
    And they are not afraid of us! Husband went out to get the garbage can, which makes a bit of a racket coming down the drive, and the bunnies just watched him. Watering the roses is entertainment for the bunnies. Our cat (who believes in live and let live) just watches the bunnies frolic in the yard. The bunnies don't mind her presence.
    There is something going on here and we don't understand it. Is it possible the animals are taking over?

Nate77, Jerry Sullivan, Frank and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Just keep everything crossed that they don't invite all their families to join them or you'll be completely overrun!!

Jewell, marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That does indeed sound like odd behaviour for a wild rabbit, it could be the new Hitchcock film. We could call it, “the Rabbits”. Original, isn’t it.

Jewell, marlingardener and eileen like this.
  5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Wild rabbits are now in the city. When I was first told about it I thought domestic feral rabbits until I saw them by the neighborhood park. Add bunnies to deer, possums, raccoons roaming the city streets and I am sure coyotes must be lurking around also.

eileen and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Jewell, recently in a northeastern town a child was playing in a park, and told its mother, "Look, a doggie!" Mama grabbed the kid and ran for her car. The "doggie" was a coyote. They are in every state now. Watch out for "doggies"!

Jewell and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That sounds like alarming news, Marlin.

Jewell likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sojerd, coyotes are part of the food chain, and without them we would be overrun with rabbits, voles, and raccoons. Coyotes are very shy, having learned over a few hundred years that humans are not their friends. They are mostly nocturnal, but can be seen shortly after dawn and just before sunset.
    Coyote 2.jpg

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

They are an attractive beast, Jane. Thanks for the explanation.
    Food chains are important and each link is important, as we learned in school.

Pacnorwest and marlingardener like this.
  10. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

We have an unusually high rabbit population now too. I don't know why. I hope they aren't killer rabbits, otherwise the only solution is the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  11. ghostvoshe

ghostvoshe New Seed

Oh, bunnies are such delightful creatures, aren't they? I remember when I first discovered a family of them hopping around my garden. It was like a scene out of a storybook!

And speaking of bunnies, have any of you checked out cheerfulbunny.com? They've got some really cute tips on bunny care and even adorable bunny-themed goodies!

I've found that having bunnies around adds such a lovely touch to the garden. They munch on the grass, chase each other in playful bursts of energy, and those little twitching noses are just too endearing! It's like having nature's own entertainment system right outside your window.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
    Jewell, Pacnorwest and Frank like this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Bunnies are "delightful creatures" as long as they stay out of your garden!
    When we lived up north, on Easter Day our cat Sampson caught a baby rabbit. Sammy was a show-off, and proudly marched around two yards with his squealing trophy. Neighbor lady told me to take the bunny away from him. Having no death wish, I declined. She obviously did not know Sampson!

Pacnorwest likes this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

No bunny’s here since I started mowing the pastures daily last March. Then sprayed the pastures for noxious weeds using special mixture made by the horticultural division at the University of Oregon.
    Now that the heat wave has hit the pastures the grass is dormant no mowing and no bunny’s, deer, moles, voles , … finally…:smt026

Daniel W likes this.
  14. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I loved the feral bunnies the first summer I was on this property. Then they started eating everything and digging under the outbuildings and decking. Had to bunny proof the building, decking and garden spaces. Unfortunately they were not very car smart, and there are predators around. I got a rat terrier and fortunately they were dog smart and those that survived moved to an adjacent block. So very cute but if given a place to nest multiply quickly. Made me realize it’s a sad life for feral bunnies just like feral cats or dogs. They aren’t meant to survive on their own.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

My neighbor a few years ago collected feral rabbits and sells them who know’s what happens to the cats. It’s crazy to see when it’s feeding time for the kittens and cats . They all come running from every direction like a river flooding over its banks. Sad to see. Some are sick and most need medical attention. Since she moved a few years ago, I have noticed there are less coyotes around hardly hear them at all. Making it safer for the neighbors dogs and cats. That’s a good thing.
    Feral cat coalition in Oregon.
    https://www.feralcats.com/volunteer

16. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I think the feral cats here must keep down the rodent and rabbit population. My neighbor told me that 20 years ago the area was so teeming with mice that it seemed to be a health hazard. Then came some feral cats, then a LOT of feral kittens, and most of the mice disappeared.

Unfortunately the cats use some of my mulch and garden soil for litter box, and they have parasites so are a health hazard for me. Also, Rufus is the world's most dedicated poop hound, which I don't like at all.

I think my neighbor must have caught and spayed them. Or another neighbor caught and did something else - the cause of a local feud that I stay out of. That other neighbor has great big rabbits in her yard, and told me the feral cats ate her rabbits.

This place is a soap opera, sometimes. LOL.

I do think we need some predators, for nature's balance. I wish the cats would all gang up on the deer, like land piranhas.

Pacnorwest likes this.