Okay, not a Heuchera but a Saxifraga stolonifera

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by toni, Apr 17, 2013.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have had this for a few years in a pot in the shade garden, it's been suffering but sure is tough!! Now it is blooming and I have some baby plantlets pinned into a pot for propogation. Only trouble is the label was lost long ago...any ideas?

[​IMG]
    Heuchera which one? ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

It has runners with baby plants on them? I don't think that's a Heuchera at all. Check out the Saxifraga stoloniferia. I think that might be it.

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh, man. I really need to keep tags or make markers. I have two I bought last spring under the name Strawberry Begonia but they are on the other side of the house and I just never paid attention to the similarites.
    I don't remember this one being labeled differently from the two Heuchera I bought at the same time.

So either I am totally forgetful or the plant was mislabeled....I am sticking with the later :rolleyes:

Thanks Droopy

4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    You and me too Toni. I bought what was labeled a hosta. It is definitely not the hosta it was labeled. :-x The more I look at it it seems to be variety of lily of the valley. Decided to buy labels for the garden. Am also keeping the unknown miss-labeled plant in a pot. Lilly of the valleys have always been invasive for me and not one of my favorite plants. :(

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Mislabeling is rife here too, both on plants and of course wrong plant names. The worst thing is that people at the nurseries don't like to be told their plant labels are misleading. Good service, eh?