On a positive note, winter bloomers

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by purpleinopp, Nov 13, 2013.

?

Do you have any winter bloomers?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no, but I could

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No way! It's too cold here!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

On an unexpectedly cold day like this, reminding myself about the good things coming soon. What's going to bloom soon now that mother nature's pulled the jack frost trigger just about everywhere? Camellias, daffs & narcissus foliage clumps are visible, Gardenia buds, holly berries, pansies, mums. I know there's more, especially in the southern states... remind me!

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I just discovered a white Hellebore flower this morning. They don't usually bloom until February here in Scotland so it's rather early but very welcome.

purpleinopp likes this.
  4. purpleinopp

That's cool! I was trying to get a handle on your garden zone, but got confused. I found a couple maps that said z8, but that can't be possible at that latitude, can it? Same zone as south Alabama? Do you "do" garden zones there?

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Wayy too cold here for winter bloomers. I think my Monkshood is the last thing to bloom at the end of October, and the crocus the first thing in March. No blooms outside in between :(

Advertisement
  6. purpleinopp

My friend who still lives in OH suggests trying these for Z5. She's in 5b central OH though, not Ontario. Sounds way different to me, surprising how the zone number is the same! Being so close to a large lake is a benefit in that way. (I clicked your 'map.')
    Witch hazel
    pussywillow
    heath
    pansies & primrose planted in the fall
    Hellebores
    Forsythia

Crocus in the snow are cool, huh? I saw that a lot of years in OH. I was nowhere near as interested in winter bloomers up there though. Like, who cares if it's too cold/wet-or-snowy to trudge around the yard to check them out? No doubt. When I was a kid I always loved it when Mom would snip pussywillow branches for a vase. She probably didn't know I even noticed. Glad I asked my friend about this, that's a good memory.

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

That depends on how one defines winter blooming I think. We're on 62°28'40" N, which is a bit north of Anchorage Alaska. Some of our winters are mild, and the hellebores and snowdrops will start blooming in January and February. Other winters are very harsh and we get to see our snowdrops in March or April.

Right now we've got a hellebore in bloom. It's a bit out of tune with the seasons. We've also got a couple of flowering pansies, but they will say good-bye as soon as we have more frost.

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I live in a cool/ temperate climate so no two winters seem to be the same. Still have clematis and primroses blooming now. May have a hard frost this week-end to knock them down. Winter blooming heather and hellebores can bloom any where from December to or through February just depending on the year/weather. But I did have a couple of my winter blooming hellebores putting on new blooms all summer. Don't know how that will affect their winter behavior. Have had crazy roses blooming into December snows.

9. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Ive still got Scabiosa and Alyssum blooming...do those count? ;D Then again, it hasnt been -that- cold here. Weve only had snow twice and it melted by midday.

10. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Not much to tell of here at present but already some Primroses are in flower and Helleborus foetidus is showing some nice light green flower buds over its dark green foliage - I also have orientalis in a dark wine colour. Moved here three and a half years ago and left so much behind me in last plot which included H. corsicus - this I intend to replace this coming year.
    Crocus, Snowdrops, Dwarf Iris, Daffodils large and minature are bulbs to come along. Other early herbaceous plants to flower will be Pulmonaria and an interesting little gem called Hacquetia epipactis - in early Spring this first shows its yellow flowers on the soil surface followed by its foliage. The flowers gradually turn green and remain along with the foliage most of the season. A slow grower and needs an eye kept on it for its welfare.
    Regards. Syd.