One year from the initial start

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Jewell, Jul 18, 2023.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    A plethora of life has happened. This is where my yard is at this point in time. It’s a huge yard with a very small garden area on a rocky, windy slope with a great view of Mt. Washington and the Olympic Mts. Feral domestic bunnies have a propensity for eating phlox, black eyed Susan’s and flowers in general, so filling in my front bed has been met with challenges including rocky gravel glacial till soil. I don’t use a shovel, I use a matlock, both hand held and large one with a pickax on one side. What has amazed me is how fast nature includes organic matter into the earth. I read that you don’t build up the soil. It’s the soil that incorporates the mulch pulling organic matter into it. I have found this to be amazingly true.

a small taste of the front yard that has a smattering of color.
    IMG_7837.jpeg IMG_7836.jpeg

Here I am going down one of the two paths I needed to create for easier access to the lower yard, and clearing the hillside of weeds.
    IMG_7834.jpeg

Pictured from the lower yard. Blueberry bushes draped in netting because birds like them as much as me. Hostas were transplanted from the other home in the spring. The rocks were hauled from around the yard to help create transitional paths along the bottom of the hill and create beds on the sloping landscape. IMG_7833.jpeg

Latest formation of a bed. Am thinking raspberries??
    IMG_7835.jpeg

The second stairway and a second path both lead to the deck, up the hill. One of two small raised beds is the white metal container for a few veggies, if the deer don’t eat them.

IMG_7828.jpeg

Potted plants were my initial success, but with hot summer weather have become a challenge to keep watered.

IMG_7829.jpeg

Sitting area by walkout basement door, plants, pots, retaining wall and upper sitting areas.
    Cheap camping mats for foot comfort on old rough rocky cement.
    IMG_7827.jpeg IMG_7830.jpeg

Upper sitting areas and wrap around bed. Some day the different varieties of clematis will cover the trellises and fencing in this area.. The dormant grassy area is a driveway that encircles the lot.
    IMG_7831.jpeg IMG_7832.jpeg
    I have lots of seating areas for taking breaks and enjoying the day.

IMG_7839.jpeg

Willowisp0801, Clay_22, Odif and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Jewel you have a talent for garden design. What a difference it makes. Lovely ideas and garden art,
    The flowers are the frosting on the cake. Sitting area looks relaxing and tranquil. Lovely garden rooms created for a Queen. And many well thought out vignettes.

Beautiful sunset with colorful puffy clouds. It sure beats the winter shady dark clouds. This is a great time of year to sit back and enjoy the sunsets and the many details of your creative paradise has not missed my observation.

Luv the turquoise rugs. Where did you find them? Perfectly complimentary to the total effect of your garden design…you have a lot of plants that I am drooling over..
    Your garden has come a long way and it must be your happy place.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
    Jewell, Sjoerd and eileen like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You have really done a wonderful job there, Jewell. The flowering areas, the sitting areas. The whole package looks so inviting. Who wouldn’t like having tea and bikkies there.
    Chapeau to an exceptional gardener.

Addendum: Oh yes, and that last foto was perfect as darkness was falling on your posting. Perfect.

5. Jewell

Thank you for the kind words. Since I spend so much time in the yard I like being able to plop down at a whim anywhere. That led to more sitting areas than people unless I throw a humongous party…those days are past.

Plastic camping rugs from Walmart, but you can find them in a variety of places. Probably would not have purchased them but they were so cheap I ended up with 3 for the area. Although supposedly the same each is a slightly different size.

Sunsets here can be spectacular for the brief moment they happen. The mountains are always there on a clear day, which we seem to be having a lot of of late.

Pacnorwest likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Thanks Sjoerd, I has kept me busy and entertained working on the yard. I am very blessed to have such a wonderful place.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Clay_22

Clay_22 Young Pine

Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.