Orange Flower, 4" across, What is it?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by renee marie, Mar 13, 2009.

1. renee marie

renee marie New Seed

Hello,

I am new to this site and wanted to join and see if their were others in my region(Austin, Texas)for guidance on beginning a new garden here. I did a lot of gardening in Corpus Christi, Texas, but this is a much different region and my spare time to research is much less.....this spring and summer, I plan to get both new flower beds and raised vegetable bed ready for fall planting.

In the mean time, I have an elderly friend(82 year old)who has a very old but still majestic garden here in Austin. I am trying very hard to get her back into gardening, even with assistance, after some serious injury and illness. I believe it will help her physically and emotionally recover more quickly.

She has a 'mystery' plant that has come up both last spring and is currently blooming. She doesn't have the energy to research herself(nor, at 82 does she use the computer at all)....so I am hoping to post a picture of this plant and see if anyone knows what it is??

I think that if I can find the answer, it might help immensely to get her back into her garden and perhaps even get a computer!!! She is justifiably depressed after a long recuperation and I am just looking for anything that might help her.

I have attached a picture. The plant just bloomed. The bloom measures approximately 4" across and has a sturdy leaf base at soil and a somewhat maroon/burgundy strong leaf base under the bloom(which did not show up in the picture too well)....

Anybody have any idea what this might be??

Thanks for any insight or direction in my search!!

Renee

[​IMG]
    3 1/2"-4" orange flower??? ( photo / image / picture from renee marie's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Hello there, and welcome to the Stew from the coast of mid-Norway! :stew2: I have to say you're doing good, helping your friend like that. I hope she'll share her knowledge of gardening with you, while you both potter about, enjoying the plants.

I've no idea what that plant might be, since it probably won't grow here.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I don't know for sure either, but I right away begin thinking of exotic plants that may not be native to Texas. Plants like Protea, Haemanthus sanguineus or something like that.

Do you know anything about this plant? For instance is it native to Texas? Does it always bloom at this time of year? Is it a succulent?...and are the blooms always so low, or does it have a stalk that might be longer if it was in a more open area?

I wonder if you might be able to take another piccy or two. I cannot tell if the flower is a composite or if it is indeed one flower with many stamina.

This is an interesting query.

5. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

The leaves look like an African Blood lily,, the flower is usually red, but this could be a different variety. Is the leaf to the left with the burgundy splotches part of the plant? Close up pictures and pics from a different angle would be helpful with the plant ID.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/4580/

Advertisement
  6. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Hello Renee welcome to our Stew.I'm from Madisonville, Texas .I think cajunbelle has Ided it.I hope it helps your friend get better.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It definately looks like Haemanthus coccineus to me too. Well done with your ID Sharon. :-D

9. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Welcome from NC, Renee. We're glad to have you. I don't know what your flower is, but is very dramatic. We have some great detectives here. Good luck with getting your friend into the garden. It's the most healing place I know of.

10. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Welcome Renee from Lufkin, TX. So glad you joined us and I hope you and your friend will enjoy it as much as we all do. It is a great group.