Osmocote and flowering fertilizer question

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by tracydanger, May 22, 2008.

1. tracydanger

tracydanger New Seed

I did buy some Osmocote shake/feed fertilizer to use as it was recommended on TV by a local nursery. I have used liquid fertilizers in the past and hadn't noticed much "improvement" in my plants.

I am following the directions on the bottle for now, but I am wondering if anyone has tips on the use of the Osmocote. Do I go the full 3-4 months before using it again? If I am using that product should it be the only one, or should I feed with something else in between the Osmocote applications?

I have used it so far on my hanging Million Bells, two new potted Geraniums, and my big pots with petunias, ivy and mums and grass. Oh, and also my flowering Begonia. Should I be doing anything different?

TIA for any tips!

2. Loading...

3. Papa2mykids

Papa2mykids Seedling

Nope.

Follow instructions, there is such a thing as to much of a good thing.

Osmocote is kind of like time release capsules that work with water and soil temps. If you add other food, you may lill your plants or have lots of foliage and little bloom.

Give the stuff some time, things wont show improvement over night.

Ron

4. Bluebirdie

Bluebirdie Seedling

I started using Osmocote last fall when I planted pansies in hanging baskets. They filled out and bloomed much better than in previous years when I used liquid fertilizer or nothing (I'm forgetful sometimes when it comes to fertilizing). Since then I use it whenever I plant anything.
    Good luck. I hope it works for you!