Our green desert

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by dooley, Sep 11, 2006.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Dan and DR both took pictures of our green desert. This much green is not good news because when it finally quits raining it will dry out and make it bad for wildfires or good for wildfires. The first ones DR took out by the highway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next one Dan took out Goodwin Road.
    [​IMG]
    This is mostly what it looks like right around us. Some is flatter and some is higher but most is this scrubby brush. Dooley

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I never imagined Arizona to be so green Dooley. I know, I sound like a tourist :rolleyes:

What temperatures (minimum) are we talking to start wildfires?

4. dooley

Arizona has elevations from near zero to 11,000 feet so we have all kinds of terrain. It isn't usually this green below 5,000 feet. We are mostly brown or gray scrubby brush. Wildfires happen when it's dry and hasn't rained in a long time. Most are man started by people careless with camp fires or all terrain vehicles. A portion is started by dry lightning. We are still in drought conditions despite the rain we've been having. We had quite a few fires in April, May and June before the rains started. October and November should be dry and the winter rains come late in December and January. Maybe some snow into February and March depending how wet the winter is going to be. But, that is just us. At lower elevations they haven't had as much rain so it is a lot drier and they could still have wildfires started by lightning. Dooley

5. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

Dooley that looks more like spring in Arizona. Wannabe

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Great pictures Dooley but I can just imagine it all dry and brittle. It certainly wouldn't take much to set a fire going would it? I can see how it would just rampage through the countryside with nothing to stop it in its tracks. Let's hope it doesn't dry out completely.

7. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

green desert

Are you considered the high desert? It certainly can be pretty at some times of the year, can't it?

Jan

8. dooley

I don't think we are high desert. That's considered to be above 6,000 feet and we are only 4,200.We get some of each though. Same for our garden zone. We are both 8 and/or 9, depending on the whims of the weather. It has more to do with the altitude than anything. Dooley

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I know how wildfires are.I have seen the burns afterward in Wyoming and in Montana some are going now near Heather.Yellow Stone National has burned thousands and thousands of acres.I hope it doesn't get close to you.