Our new pets

Discussion in 'Pets' started by EJ, Apr 11, 2008.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Since my absence we have welcomed 2 new pets into our home.....

[​IMG]
    This is Leccy, our bearded dragon. He is adoreable! We brought him when he was just a couple of inches long and a baby. He is now over 18 inches long and is such a character, and we haven't had him a year yet! He should reach 25+ inches when fully mature.
    [​IMG]
    Here he is as a baby. Awwwwwwwwwwww.

And here is crystal
    [​IMG]
    She is a Corn Snake and is beeeeeutiful. She is approaching a year old and is about 18 inches currently. When fully grown she should be twice that.

We still have 2 hamsters and an array of fish indoors and out and in a couple of weeks time we are getting 2 guinea pigs. Honestly, I swore I would never have pets but the kids just love animals!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Wow EJ, that is quite an assortment of pets! Do the kids do all the "work"?
    What do you feed a hungry corn snake?

4. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

I know very little about reptiles and would like to hear more about your bearded dragon. What is the care of them? You said he's a character...do they actually have a personality? Is he kept in an aquarium, and can you let him run loose? I would consider something like that, but you can keep the snake!!!

5. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

Congrats on the new pets. I'm glad you love them so much. Have fun with them.

Advertisement
  6. MPhotos

MPhotos Seedling

Ah I have always wanted a snake. But mom is to scared of them.

Congrats on getting new pets they are always fun.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Great you have a snake too!!! :D We have a Western Hog nose python. Yours is a beauty for sure and the bearded dragon has some lovely markings. We also have a pet fancy rat that's just a few weeks old and so intelligent and cheeky already. :-D
    Just as well we don't live nearer each other EJ 'cause I think that between us we'd end up with a zoo!!!! ;)

Here's a photograph of our snake.

[​IMG]

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

You have interesting pets EJ but I'll stick with my little Oreo.

9. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I am so glad mine pet is a four legged little cuddly poodle!! Yours are very interesting to say the least!! ;)

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Your Leccy truly is adorable! I love the patterns on both snakes, but I'm not particularly fond of them... It's against the law to keep snakes and reptiles as pets here in Norway.

11. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

EJ: Congrats on your pets. :stew2:

Glendann: Ditto (I have a phobia of snakes) :eek:

Droopy: The more you speak of Norway . . . the more I like it. Give me a land where having snakes are against the law anyday!!! LOL :D

I guess I am just a big ol' fraidy cat. :oops:

12. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I think it's great that your children love animals!!
    It teaches them responsibility and shows that they are loving and compassionate. We just had a horrible story in our newspaper about 2 boys who used a baseball bat to break the front legs of a small dog. Makes you wonder what they have seen to make them so nasty :( On the upside, the community has over ran the vet's office with offers to adopt the little dog and donations towards her surgery and bills :p
    Deanna
    :-D

13. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Makes me sick to hear stories about this. My neighbor just adopted a 7-month old dog from the humane society that had been left on a chain outside with very little attention. It broke her heart to hear the story and she decided that this was the dog she was taking home. After just a few days here, she's now very social and smiles all the time! Glad her story had a good ending.

14. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I hate hearing cruelty to animals, and yes, having all these critters certainly teaches the kids some responsibilty. It also teaches them to have a soft touch, no grab grab, and also to be calm and quiet when necessary. This comes in handy also when we have the oldies to visit. :)

Leccy our bearded dragon is a character. They can become quite 'humanised' and love to be held. He will happily sit on your lap or your shoulder for ages and yes, we do let him loose although we close all the room doors so he has the run of our passageway and the stairs - I would hate for him to go behind the sofa and risk getting trapped or squished! He eats crickets, locust and mealworms along with lots of fruit and veg, apples and onions being his fave. Now he is bigger, and with summer coming, we have a rabbit run in the garden and he will be able to spend some time out in the open on hot days, but we have to be careful that he doesn't catch a chill, bless him. I give him his breakfast everyday and when he sees me coming down the stairs he gets very exciting banging on the glass of his vivarium. He loves to have his beard around his face stroked and you can send him to sleep if you get it just right.

Crystal the snake eats 'pinkies' which are baby mice before they get their fur, although starting this week, she has moved on to 'fuzzies' which is the next stage of mouse development. I know this is what puts of a lot of people off, but all animals have to eat, as do we. She isn't such a character, but she is dreamy to hold, so smooth and warm. We sit all evening holding her letting her move from hand to hand. Very very theraputic.