Outside playpen for chicks

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by marlingardener, Jun 7, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Our chicks are of an age where they can go outside for a couple of hours at a time, and they are enjoying their adventure! We leave them in the playpen with water and a shade spot, and let them run about and tire themselves out. Then back inside to the nursery for a long nap, and back outside in the early evening. Then back inside for a night's rest. A chick has a busy life . . . .
    chicks first day out.jpg

Philip Nulty, Sjoerd, 2ofus and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Do they all get along well MG? Sounds like they have the life :rosy:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

They do get along well. They are now trying to find out who is dominant. Whoever she is, she won't be when we blend the young flock with the older ladies. Who is top in the pecking order gets settled fast! Our older ladies don't tolerate upstarts.
    We think that the chicks didn't sign up to come live with us, so we owe them the best life we can provide. I'm just an old softie, but I want anything that lives here at Red Gate Farm (except grasshoppers) to have the best environment possible.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Those chicks can look forward to long and happy lives with you Jane. I hope you've ordered extra armchairs and another television for them. ;)

Philip Nulty and marlingardener like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I like seeing these little guys.
    It must be fun raising these.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Eileen, they are picking out the colors for their chairs--we already decided on drapes and carpeting:).
    Sjoerd, if any of the chicks turn out to be little guys, they are going to another farm. I have prospective homes lined up for roosters. I have enough trouble keeping the hens out of trouble without dealing with a rooster! And the chicks are a lot of fun, but then I'm easily amused.

Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hahaha...Well, I hope that you won't have too many roosters.
    Tell me though--if one keeps hens for taking eggs, does one have to have a rooster to keep them laying regularly?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

A lovely group of new chicks,..fingers crossed for you that there are not too many Roosters in that group,..do you keep one Rooster on the farm? to have a broody hen sitting on fertile eggs?.

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Awww, they are CUTE!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Adorable. I am mighty envious having reared lots of quail chicks. I do miss having birds in my life.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd and Philip, a rooster is not needed--hens lay eggs no matter what. Roosters fertilize hens and broody hens will hatch fertilized eggs, but I really don't want to go down that road.
    EJ, I've seen places here in Texas that raise quail. Although they are pretty, I don't think I'll expand our fowls!

Sjoerd and Philip Nulty like this.
  13. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Some friends and others whom i used to supply eggs to didn't like the fact i had eggs that were fertilized,..i must admit that having a Rooster did protect the flock,.. but on one occasion i didn't know i had a hen laying out,..she had over a dozen eggs and was sitting on them until they hatched,..i presumed she was gone missing until one day i discovered i had 14 chicks following behind her,..alas many were Roosters lol.

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Philip, I've only had one rooster--from the first batch of chicks we got from a poultry supplier. I named him Cyrus, but should have named him Beelzebub! I could not get him to calm down, stop chasing me, and trying to peck and scratch me. He finally went down the road to a far, far better place.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Ah yes i forgot about that hazard which surprises me as i always had to keep my eye on my Rooster,..fierce fellow always strutting about guarding his ladies and i did get quite a few pecks,..in the end i took on a quieter Rooster,..who realized i was at the top of the pecking order,..i ate the fierce one,..boiled in case he was as tough meat wise:whistling:

marlingardener likes this.