Overwintering Hibiscus- seeking advice

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Kay, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I have two tropical hibiscus that I want to keep. One is two yrs. old now, and did well last year in spite of my having to do battle with white flies (yuck) the other is Hibiscus Sinensis "Variegata" and it has gotten to be about 2' this year in a container. They have both had a good summer and have grown a lot. Should I cut them back at all?
    What light would they prefer? Last winter I housed the yellow bloomer in my south facing sun room, until white flies appeared. Grrr
    Said sunroom is near capacity, every fall I am challenged with fitting all my containers back in the house!
    I am planning on doing a spraying for insects before the cross the threshold too.
    Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have read that they should be pruned sometime between August-October since they bloom on new shoots. You could do that before bringing them in, they might fit the space available then.
    They need bright sunshine for several hours a day and lots of warmth, being tropical plants. Don't let them sit in a cold drafty area though, that can kill them since they are not frost tolerant.

Theodoros likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Kay, I am in the same boat. I have a tropical hibiscus that I over wintered last year. It lost a lot of leaves in a very spectacular way (I was unexpectantly out of town and my teen son missed it with the watering can) I pruned it and was able to bring it back but it did not bloom at all this summer. It is big & beautiful, but no flowers!

I will be interested to hear of your two this year. I think I will prune mine back now to compensate for the drop in sun as I move it indoors.

5. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

I live in FL. and have hibiscus outside, and for insects I use Triazcide, made by Spectracide. And they like the morning sun. And they do not like wet feet in otherwords too much water.

Advertisement
  6. Kay

We moved several big plants into the garage last night, as temps dipped down to 36°F overnight. Brrr
    The Hibiscus are actually bigger than I first thought. More like 4 feet tall and 3 wide. I think I will take your advice Toni, and do some pruning.
    Yesterday, I applied a systemic. I really do not want to deal with those whiteflies again!
    They will be quarrantined in the sunny laundryroom.

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Kay--How much do you plan on pruning back?
    Toni-do you have any suggestions for this?

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The article I read a while ago recommended cutting them back by 1/3 to 1/2,,,and taking out the weak stems and side shoots.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. Kay

Thanks Toni!
    Cayuga, good luck with yours!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  10. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

I have acquired 7 hibiscus.They are in the shed now waiting to be thoroughly washed & pruned.They grew
    huge what with all the heat we had.Sad to say they are not all coming back inside.Don't know a soul who has the proper conditions to keep them.
    THe whiteflies didn't bother them other years in my greenhouse but we had such an onslaught of them on the whole place this summer.I think they came from the bean fields around.They probably have some larvae on them that is hard to get all of them GRRR!
    sNs

11. Kay

Yea there were some whiteflies in parts of my garden- especially around the tomato plants. I had to spray the Hibiscus a few times. I also used a systemic.