Overwintering Lantana

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Zinnia, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Zinnia

Zinnia Seedling

Should I overwinter Lantana in an indoor area or leave it in the soil?

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'd leave it in the soil. Just mulch it heavily to keep the roots alive. Even here in Central Texas the lantana dies back in the winter. I cut it back to about a 2-3" stubble after the first heavy freeze, mulch it, and then in the spring when the tiny leaves start to appear, pull some of the mulch away.
    Lantana is a hardy plant, with an extensive root system. Trying to lift and pot it might be more harmful than just leaving it and preparing it for winter. Last winter we had (gasp!) snow :eek: and several nights in the 'teens and our lantana survived just fine.

4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

In your zone, I would be pleasantly surprised if your Lantana survives the winter outside. It is more of an annual. I have had luck with leaving the plant in the container and keeping it in my garage. However, I prefer buying new plants each spring... Good luck with it, Lantana is a good one!

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I've got some pretty Lantana still blooming... I planted it for the first time this year in a pot and was pleasantly surprised at how big and pretty it was. The nursery said it was an annual, but I'm wondering if it will make it through the winter. I was thinking I might mulch it and move the pot into the garage for the winter. We should compare notes in the Spring!

Advertisement
  6. Zinnia

Zinnia Seedling

Thanks guys. Daisy, mine is still beautifully blooming as well, one of the only plants I bought this Spring because we just moved here. I think I shall combine all the info. Wait til decent frost, cut back, and give it a nice blankie of mulch for its winter slumber. Then cross my fingers. Daisy, I got my plants for cheap at the snowball/produce stand down the street. He offered me a really good deal on some clematis but I was broke at the time and prefer a different color than he had. I love that little stand! Fresh produce and flowers!

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Do you mean the one on Ft Smallwood? Near the Fire House? If it is, I think I bought mine from him too! He's always got something good on special... and he's a nice man too.

8. Zinnia

Zinnia Seedling

Yes yes and Yes! He is a sweetie, and if you buy frequently and a decent amount, he cuts ya a deal here and there. I live off Beacon Point, just a hop skip and a jump from you.