Paint Colouring Ideas for Asian feel...

Discussion in 'Choosing Colors' started by Hayadooen, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Hayadooen

Hayadooen New Seed

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions/ideas of colors for walls to decorate the place to have an Asian (Japanese / Oriental) feel...

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Ko

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there Ko and a very BIG welcome to our forums. :D

I have a spare bedroom decorated in the Japanese style. The curtains and bedding are white with black Japapnese symbols. The walls are painted a soft shade of green called bamboo. The floors have been laminted with light ash boards and lastly I have red, white and black accents.

Hope this helps you a little. I'm sure others will be along in a while with more colour schemes for you. :-D

4. flowie

flowie Seedling

Red.... Brick Red walls.... and alot of Black laquer looking furniture.... gold......
    and definity anything made of bamboo....
    and a bamboo plant in water...

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We shop at several oriental grocery markets for specialty items we like and find not only a lot of the red lacquer items and black lacquer items all with gold highlights but you also find porcelain in blue/white, red/white and green/white. You also see the Buddha and Kuan Yin statues are gold, dark red w/black highlights, stone, etc.

I think the color shceme may not be as important as the decor itself. And since you said you want the oriental feel to the room, you wouldn't have to go all out with the red walls and black furniture. You could start with white or off white walls and add certain touches that you find along the way. If you have Oriental Grocery stores around or an Earthbound Trading company at a mall, check out the decor items they have.

When you use symbols, make sure they actually have a meaning and that it is one you want in the room. While they look a lot alike to the western eye, Japanese, Chinese, Korean and other Asian language symbols are different and have different meanings.