Papya tree maybe? Diseased deffinately, please help!

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Mrs. Galeassi, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

I have trees in my back yard, they may be papya trees. And they have black spots on leaves and are affecting my container garden, my tomato plants are a mess and had same spotted leaves now, had to remove them and they stopped flowering. I had to move all my containers to the front. But what id like help with is identifying the trees and the disease they have. Then id like it if someone could please tell me how to treat them and I'm not opposed to chemicals. We just moved to this rented apartment and it has a small fenced in yard and our yard is the only one with trees. But I didn't think the trees being sick would affect my plants but it has spread to my tomato plants. And the fruits are spotted too. Should I just ask to have the trees removed? Please help id greatly appreciate it.

[​IMG]
    ?papyas? ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Papya trees? ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

[​IMG]
    disease ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There is a virus that it could be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaya_ringspot_virus It affects the leaves, trunk and fruit and is spread to other plants by aphids.
    And apparently once the symptoms are seen it is too late to spray for aphids and sometimes removal of the tree is the only cure.

But you might check with local garden centers or the local country extension office to see if that is the problem with yours.

4. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Thank you Toni. I just added a photo of a leaf and fruit that's infected. Will follow your link. Pretty sure my tomato plants are goners now. Think I saved the rest of my garden though. Thank goodness they are in containers.

5. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Toni took a look at the wiki and I'm not sure. These ones are black spots and the leaves turn yellow. The ringspot looks to be green circles. Argh such a shame, never tried papya, had no clue that's what they were until now. Thanks for the help. :)

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Could be the same thing, the photos at that link might be of newly infected leaves and fruit before they actually died from it.

The University of Florida runs the Extension offices in Florida...find you county and call them. They should definitely know what it is and how to take care of it. http://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/map/

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I don't know what's wrong with them. But they are definitely papaya. So sad that it has affected your tomatos. :'(

8. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Thank you both very much. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.... But I may just have them taken down if its that disease cause I love plants and want to fill my lil back yard with them.... going to get rid of my tomato plants and start new I guess :(