Passiflora seed germination

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Creationsings, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Creationsings

Creationsings Seedling

I have been asked by some of you to write a thread on how I germinate my passiflora seeds. So here it is:)

The first thing I do is soak the seeds in a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide for 4 days. The hydrogen peroxide helps break down the seeds shell and also give much needed oxygen for germination. Seeds need oxygen to germinate. This soaking method has worked very well for me.

I then take a pot big enough for the seedlings to grow in for several months so about a 6-8 inch pot or a 4 inch if only a few seeds. I tend to plant 20 plus at a time.

Put miracle grow potting soil till the pot is filled an inch from the top. I plant the seeds a 1/4 inch deep and gently water. Place in the sun and keep the soil moist. Heat is esential for sprouting passifloras. Seeds start to sprout within a month or less. Though it is good to note that there are some varieties of passiflora that are much harder to sprout them others.

Feel free to ask questions I will do my best to answer if I know the answer:)

2. Loading...