Peas and swiss chard

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by dooley, Feb 13, 2007.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

This morning, I planted one 10 ft row of Little Marvel peas and two 10 ft rows of swiss chard. I thought I was getting a head start on the earwigs but I dug one up when I was planting the swiss chard. I wonder if they will eat the seed or just the new plants. I will have to mix up a batch of my trusty earwig solution as soon as I see the first shoot. Dooley

2. Loading...

3. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

I have thought about trying some Swiss Chard but have never tasted it how is it and how do you use it.

4. dooley

Swiss Chard is great. DR likes it better than spinach. It had giant leaves and thick stems. I pull the leaves off of the stems and steam them or just cook them like spinach. A little butter, a little grated cheese. Some like a little vinegar but I think that distracts from its flavor. It is a bit stronger than spinach but not as strong as kale. I make quiche with it instead of spinach too. Dooley

5. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Thanks dooley will try a few stalks another reason to look at the seed racks.

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Its according to ones taste Richard.I planted some one time I did not like it.I do love most greens.Mother said you had to accuire a taste for it but I never did.I don't like Polk Salad either but everyone else in the family did.It sure makes a beautifiul plant.I do wish I liked to eat it.

7. dooley

It is one of Susie the Goat's favorite treats.The first time I grew swiss chard, I planted Fordhook's Giant. I used a stream of water from a hose to make a furrow in the ground. I put the seeds in the furrow and used my foot to press the side of the furrow over the seeds. It grew and grew and grew. It was three or four feet high and had huge leaves. I think one leaf fed myself and dr. We had two goats at that time and it fed them, too. Everyone stopped to ask what I was growing.
    Sometimes you can find it in the produce section in bunches if you want to try it, usually the kind with the red stems. Dooley

8. glendann

Then if Susie likes it I'll try it again.:)

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I tried to grow swiss chard a few times. Found out that the deer LOVE it!

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

I would fight the deer for it. By far my favorite green except maybe beet tops. You can keep the beets though.

11. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Swiss chard is one of my favorite vegetables. I planted it last year and it didn't do well but am planting two varieties this year Golden Sunrise and Magenta Sunset.

12. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I first tasted Chard when we went to Holland to visit Clint and Ina. MUCH better than spinach in my opinion and the rainbow chard looks beautiful in the garden too with its multi-coloured stalks. :-D

13. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I grow the multi coloured rainbow chard on my allotment, and I love it! I also use the thick stems. I remove the green from the stems then chop the stems into chunks and get them cooking, then either add the leaves after a few minutes, or cook the leaves seperate and serve them as 2 seperate veg. The stems are great with a cheese sauce over, then flashed under a hot grill until brown and bubbly.

14. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Sounds great EJ.

15. glendann

The only time I tried it the stalks were purple and the leaves were curly maybe I should really try a different kind because I love spinach and turnips and green almost any greens you name maybe this wasn't the right kind.I will have a try at growing another kind.