Peony cuttings?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by carolyn, May 21, 2012.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Someone brought me a beautiful selection of peonies from their yard today and I was wondering if anyone has tried to root them from cuttings? Or must they be divided only?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

stratsmom and Jewell like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Those are gorgeous!! Peony's are my absolute favorite flower ... funny I never thought about starting some from cuttings. I'll be watching this thread with interest :)

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Netty they are gorgeous. I was so shocked to see them. the white one in the center smells wonderful. the "anemone" ones have no fragrance at all :'( .The burgundy one has already lost a few petals so I may be starting this sooner than I expected, especially since there seems to be no forthcoming information, yet. I guess I'll experiment. Last year I did hydrangeas, but I lost them somewhere outside :-? I remember planting them, but where oh where was it? and I haven't found them yet. Maybe I will have to start over on that project, too.

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Beautiful arrangement! Beautiful vase too! I wish they lasted longer, don't you? :-? Let me know if you get starts from your cuttings!! You can never have too many peonies!!!

p.s. To tell you what a dork I am...I was looking at something on line today and "Painted Peonies" caught my eye so I clicked on it thinking "Oh man, this could be cool" but, I misread and it said "Painted Ponies" :rolleyes:

Droopy likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Tree peonies can be propagated by grafting, root division, seed and cuttings. Herbaceous by root division and seed. Do you know what kind they are?

Jerry

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Lovely peonies! :D I like them a lot. We've got a few around the garden, mostly herbaceous ones but also three tree peonies. They're all yellow. :rolleyes: I don't know why.

Hahah, Stratsmom! :D That's a mistake I could easily make too, but I would have studied the ponies when I discovered my mistake. :D

8. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

I doubt these will make roots.
    Top three, white plus two pink are definitely herbaceous.
    Not sure about the two darker ones.

Droppy, all YELLOW?
    Both herb. and tree ones ???
    I'd love to see them.
    Over here yellow ones are highly sought after.

:)

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh, sorry Calin, I expressed myself rather clumsily there. The three tree peonies are all yellow, but only two of the herbaceous ones are. :rolleyes: There's photos of at least two tree peonies and one herbaceous yellow in the My Garden-section.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks Deanna. The vase was under the sink. No idea where it came from. It is just a nice HEAVY one. Those plastic ones are worthless for a bouquet of any size.
    I also misread things many times...maybe if I would slow down a little I wouldn't. but then again I pick up letters from other lines at time (must be peripheral vision) and totally misread what is on the one line. Ponies are cute, too.

Jerry and Calin, I have no idea if they are all herbaceous ones or not. I am just assuming they are. I read that tree peonies are propogatable, but couldn't find anywhere that herbaceous ones were. So thanks.