Phew!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Capt Kirk, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Spring is here with an over abundance of skunks. You can't drive down a road without seeing or smelling a dead skunk! I went to get my income taxes done this morning and this one road I went down, within a 2 mile stretch I saw 5 dead skunks.
    We had a couple of skunks that had gotten under the edge of the back porch. You could smell a faint odor of skunk on the enclosed porch. But I got rid of them quick. I read on line where to take a rag and soak it in ammonia and that would do it. I did that and placed it in the holes and haven't smelled skunk in 3 days, on the porch.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Capt Kirk
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Capt Kirk
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Bless you, Capt.! We have a skunk that has moved in under the workshop. I'm going for the ammonia and a rag right now. That is a wonderful idea and I truly, truly thank you for sharing it (now my husband won't have an excuse to not use the workshop).
    We have skunks throwing themselves under the wheels of SUVs all up and down the road. I think they are unlucky in love and have decided to end it all. Sure wish their suicide notes weren't so odorous!

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I have had a skunk using the winter apartment under the tool shed since November. If it is not a female with young I will try your ammonia eviction notice.

Jerry

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Jerry, I admire your altruism, but it's a SKUNK! Female with young or not, get him/her out of there. Otherwise you'll spend spring roaming the yard with a clothespin on your nose!

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

I had this happen a few years ago. The skunk and her kids would come out about 7:00. She being cautious would head away from activity and the house. After a few weeks I blocked the entrance. The family moved on without any altercation, everyone was happy. The grub killer gets applied as soon as I am able to walk on the lawn. I try to live with the animals as much as possible. The Tool shed apartment has had skunks, groundhogs, a badger, rabbits, and a opossum. Cats stop by for a visit, especially if it is raining.

Jerry

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Jerry,
    We have a resident opossum in the barn. He/she leaves the hens alone, and I throw a few bits of dry cat food near the entrance hole. I don't think I could be as tolerant of skunks!
    Have you tried milky spore for the grubs? It is applied, lives in the soil (completely organic, non-toxic and pet friendly)and works for years. When we lived up north we used it and it works a treat. Many nurseries carry it, and it's available on-line. Not terribly expensive, as I remember.

8. Jerry Sullivan

I have never used Milky spore. As I understand you need to apply it several times a year. Since the sun kills the spores it needs to be applied after the sun has set. Continued use is needed to create an epidemic within the grub community.

A season lasting application with 'grubex' is more tempting. And no lawn divots. :)

Jerry