Pics from the last day of winter

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by cherylad, Mar 20, 2014.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Took these yesterday when I got home from work.

[​IMG]
    Front bed with Georgia Blue Speedwell and Shamrocks ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Closer... ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Basket of purple Oxalis ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And I've been waiting on this newly planted Amarylis to bloom.

[​IMG]
    Amarylis - first bloom ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Can't wait until the other's open too!

Frank, Jewell, KK Ng and 5 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh that Amarylis is splendid. I don't think I have one Amarylis, at least that is bloom worthy.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've never tried to grow shamrock before. Is it an easy plant to grow in the garden. Do you know how hardy it is? I'd love to have some either in planters or around my pond.
    Your amaryllis is gorgeous. The white makes the red of the petals really pop. It's the same with your oxalis as the white flowers make a lovely contrast with the dark leaves.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I enjoyed your posting.--Piccies from a sort of hallmark day. I wish that I had thought to take a picture on this day. It would have been interesting to see shots of garden areas from all the different areas of the world in which our members live. Perhaps next year then.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Beautiful! And so much nicer than the last day of winter here (snow squalls)

7. cherylad

Thanks Barb. I just potted these Amarylis a month or so ago. I have some on the ground, that have re-sprouted, but no signs of blooms. So I'm really tickled to have these blooming.

Eileen... the shamrock is a "weed" here. At first, I was digging them up, but then it occurred to me... let 'em grow dummy! They stay green year 'round and bloom off and on all year too. The Oxylis in the photo are planted in a basket that was protected over the winter. They can be a little timid, especially when you go to divide them... but they spring back after awhile. I have some in the ground and they made it through the winter with just a little protection from the north wind. Their flowers are a pale purple, I'll try to get a better photo.

Sjoerd... that's a great idea... last day of winter photo entries. I didn't plan it that way. I had taken the photos not realizing what day it was.

Netty...sure hope all that snow stops soon for you all... it really has been a tough winter up there.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  8. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Great post, Cheryl, and I just love Sjoerd's idea of the whole community (or at least as many as can) taking pics of their gardens/area and posting them on the same day of the year (somewhere really close to the same day..) If that proves interesting to us Stewbies, then we might do it more often than once a year, say, on the seasonal changes..
    Hank

9. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Your amaryllis is stunning Cheryl. I just can't get used to seeing them outdoors as we have to grow them as houseplants :rolleyes:

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sjoerd, Henry & Cheryl--I like the idea of members all taking concurrent pictures: last day of winter, etc. Would be interesting.

Cheryl--Your flowers are so nice to see this time of year! I particularly like the oxalis.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hank---I would go along with your idea to expand it to more than once a year. It would be no problem for me, 'cos I'd be in the garden anyway (if it wasn't pouring rain).

There are bound to be differences...and I would find that quite interesting to see.

12. cherylad

And it wouldn't have to be a special day Sjoerd. Someone could just post asking for everyone to take/share photos on a given day a few times a year? :stew2:

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yeah, you're right, Cheryl. It would be interesting, wouldn't it.

cherylad likes this.