Pinkie/Denees Garden

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Pinkiered, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Tried to get pics of the whole yard but camera battries died. Thats why some are out of focus. I tried sharping them some.

You get so see my shameful rose addiction! :oops:

My newest baby....Wisteria... I think thats spelled right. She sits at the edge of my rose garden and Im training her to create a wall to enclose my roses on two sides.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My passion vine is in bloom!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My shade nursey for all my new babies or the struggling ones.
    [​IMG]
    Starting at the very bottom on the left side (in the ground),
    A elephant ear (behind the rake....its keeping it safe from my cat)
    If you look close enough just to the right of that (about two hands)is a little stem that is a swamp elephant ear.
    Then theres my three Gingers and two bulbs still in the ground sleeping.
    Then My three Ivys
    Then a small tree that the winter killed but its slowly coming back...
    Then 6 black elephant ears (still sleeping)
    In the containers are my fern and friendship plant.
    Oh and in the middle is my palm.

My firendship plant is about to bloom for the first time in two years!
    [​IMG]

My roses
    KnockOut Rose
    [​IMG]
    Chrysler Imperial
    [​IMG]
    Chrysler Imperial and Europeana
    [​IMG]
    Flush Mini
    [​IMG]
    Sunny Mini (next to it is my peachesNcream in bud)
    [​IMG]

My whole rose garden from the front.....Im putting a small gate in between the two rose trees..
    [​IMG]

And all the red lines here....are my roses :oops:
    The purple is the wisteria..
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yeah,I see you like roses :D

The Passionvine is beautiful. If you find caterpillers on them, don't remove them until you find out what kind they are. Passionvine is the food source for caterpillars of the Gulf Fritillary, Variegated Fritillary and the Zebra Butterflies.
    Also, the American wisteria is the food source for the caterpillar of the Long-tailed Skipper butterfly.

You may have to sacrifice a few leaves for some beautiful butterflies.

4. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Yuck! I dont want them in my garden! They thought my garden last year was all you can eat buffet! The whole thing looked terrible after!

But I promise I wont kill them! Ill just remove thier little butts off my plants!

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh Denee that passionvine is just gorgeous :smt049 :smt049 I only have the run of the mill passionflower which is looking a tad sickly at the moment after all the frosts. :(
    I must find one of those vines. (drool emoticon needed badly here.)
    Those roses of yours are lovely too - mine are all still bare stalks at the moment and don't usually bloom until around the end of May. Are any of them scented?
    I simply cannot seem to grow wisteria here but expect to see update piccies of yours so that I don't have withdrawal symtoms. :D :D
    Thanks for sharing your garden with us. :kiss:

Advertisement
  6. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

All my roses are scented. But the Chrysler is so heavy scented that if you smell it first then the others, they have no scent! HA! You have to smell the others first. But yes they are all scented. I dont beleive in unscented roses! To me, its a crime to breed the scent out for the sake of the color.

And Ill post pics so you can see my vines grow! HA!

7. toni

Denee,
    If you remove the caterpillars it is the same as killing them. If they are the caterpillars for those butterflies they can't just move on to the next plant and eat. Most gardeners have to make a choice between having butterflies and a few chewed up plants that will recuperate after the caterpillars pupate or have lush plants and no butterflies.

8. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Ugh! Well, I dont want to kill anything but the ants.....

Ok, We will see.

9. Kimberly

Kimberly Seedling

Sooo pretty!! I just love that baby wisteria!!! :D And I can't wait to see the friendship plant!!!

10. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Gosh, your roses are blooming already. Mine just have little leaves. Dooley

11. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I have three more in bloom too. My PeachesNCreme and the unknown white one.... ummm... but that ones being wierd! Last year it bloomed huge white blooms but the buds this year are yellow and red!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im total confused! Maybe I mixed up the climbers...but I only have three, the Josephs coat , the Golden Glow and the unknow white one. I know for sure where the Josephs coat is so I know its not that one....

I cant wait for it to open so i can see.

12. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Maybe all the pollinating insects did a good job last year Denee. Cross pollination can create new coloured blooms. :D

13. toni

A lot of roses are grafted stock. The root stock is usually a white, sometimes not, that they graft a color too.
    I have a red Blaze climber that for two years bloomed red every spring until the spring of 1989 when it bloomed both red and white. That previous winter we had a really long cold spell where the temps hovered only between 15-25 degrees for more than a week.
    The shrubs out front and the rose were killed off down to ground level but the roots were fine.
    When the rose put out new growth in the spring it was mainly from the white root stock with a couple of shoots coming from a small portion of the red that had survived.
    For two years I had both white and red roses on the same bush and sometimes a few pink blooms mixed in on the same stems as both the other colors, but after that the white wasn't strong enough to come back the third year and the red took over again.

Even if you don't have a killing freeze like we did, sometimes the original root stock color will show up if the plant has been pruned too low or maybe just because it wants to.

14. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Well how ever it happened Im happy! I have a surprise rose! But now I have to move it cuz its sitting next to my Bluegirl and those colors wont go well together ,says Artist Denee! HA!

I planted the white one there because of the Bluegirl. It would bring out the soft purple of that rose. Now.... I have to go rose shopping....you know.... for a new white rose. ;)

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Passion Flower

Hiya,

What a stunning passion flower! What sort is it? I'm wondering if it is strong enough to grow here in Holland.
    Keep those piccies coming.

Cheers,
    Clint

16. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I dont know the type it is but if it goes to seed this fall, Ill be more then happy to dish them out to you all! I love sharing!(my mom would be so proud :D )